View Single Post

Old 08-08-2022, 07:12 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
023 – Boats, Davits and Ladders

Greetings Builders,

Time to create two more (smaller) boats for the top deck (Image 185). This image also shows the device the boat rests on so it can be moved around the deck. As I understand it, they had wheels on the bottom to facilitate movement. The boats' oars are laser cut. Everything else in the boats is hand cut paper and card.

Image 186 shows the four forward davits with fittings and ladders. The davits were created on page 10 of this thread. To discuss the ladders further, see image 187. The ladders are laser cut. However, the mounting brackets were hand cut from paper.

Image 188 shows the installation of the newly created boats and a pair of ventilators.

The final image shows the jig I used to create the davit rigging. I cut thin strips of paper, then glue them together with paper discs (pulleys). Then I remove the lines I don’t need. After painting them with Testors Flat Black, they have the appearance of davit rigging.

The vintage photo is one that I am using to guide my work. One can clearly see the ladders mounted next to the davits.

Kind Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-184-boats-parts-03.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-185-boats-carriages-ventilators.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-186-davits-parts-03.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-187-davit-ladders-closeup.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-188-boats-top-deck.jpg  

French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-189-davit-rigging.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-190-vintage-photo-neptune-forward-davits.jpg