View Single Post

Old 09-04-2022, 04:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
Don, did you mean to type 'goof' or 'good'?

A bit on the spinner and propellor technique I'm trying here. The upside of inline engines is not needing to build 9,18 or more cylinders and all the attendant rods, fins and fuel lines, but the compound curved dome of the spinner can be a headache for the designer and the builder (as can a nose without an engine). In 72nd scale the usual solution of cylinder sections has the potential for a great deal of frustration and an untidy result when dealing with tiny parts, tiny glue tabs and a fragile construction. I had some success using blu-tack as internal filler on the spinners from RR Trents on a 1/120 Airbus, but even that presents the fiddly task of getting tiny paper sections to stick exactly, and they are heavy.

So, I hit upon making a 'sandwich' of mount board (did I mention it's my favourite material, 'wunderstoff'?) which can be sanded and shaped as needed. I tried this on a recent Spitfire and got a good result, although needed a better way to attach the propellor blades firmly. Another nice feature is that the propellor can be made to spin. The first step is making a hole in the board, and then cutting around it to get the correct diameter of the back of the spinner. Typically I cut it a bit wider by eyeballing, and then place it on the nose 'drive shaft' of the model, and draw the circle using a propelling pencil with a thin lead, then use the knife to cut this more precisely, sand the edges and repeat. The 'sandwich' is then built up using as many layers as needed to make the spinner the right length. Getting the correct curve is a mixture of laying it on plans/photos of the real thing and just eyeballing. On the second layer I marked and cut three slots to accept the actual propellor blades.

Once all done the mounts of the blades are carved from cocktail sticks and test fitted. The whole assembly is given liberal amounts of glue, and will recieve multiple layers of paint and varnish with sanding in between to get as even a surface as possible. Panal lines are scored if required.

Two little things I learned about real aircraft from this: the angle of the drive shaft and the spinner/prop is almost always tilted down slightly from 'straight and level' as the AH would show. This is because tilting the thrust angle in this way natually helps the aircraft fly at the optimum angle of attack for cruise. The second is just how much variation there is in the shape of spinners even amongst aircraft that have the same engine. The Fulmar's is more stubby than a Spitfire or Hurricane but smaller than a Mosquito, all with the same Merlin.
Attached Thumbnails
Fairey Fulmar- 1/72-img_20220826_110203.jpg   Fairey Fulmar- 1/72-img_20220904_112730.jpg   Fairey Fulmar- 1/72-img_20220904_112751.jpg   Fairey Fulmar- 1/72-img_20220904_112818.jpg   Fairey Fulmar- 1/72-img_20220904_112834.jpg