View Single Post

Old 09-22-2009, 11:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Had a good evening working on this one and made some real progress.
MM Aviation Contest- J7W1 SHINDEN-img_2632.jpg
The first thing I did was cut out most of the parts. I found that the linework was really washed out on the olive color, so I went over it all with a fine pen. It's hard to see in this shot because of the flash, but it made quite a difference.
MM Aviation Contest- J7W1 SHINDEN-img_2633.jpg
But as with most of these earlier MM kits, they tend to look a bit plain, so I added some weathering with a marker; just something to break up the even color.

MM Aviation Contest- J7W1 SHINDEN-img_2634.jpg

The fuselage went together fairly easily and the front sections fit fine. However, it wouldn't be a Wasiak design if they all fit perfectly and there's a couple of walloping great misfits on a couple of the sections. With lots of trimming, sanding and fiddling, they're not too noticeable.

MM Aviation Contest- J7W1 SHINDEN-img_2636.jpg

The wings have a sort of box former for them, which once I figured out how they worked, I actually quite liked and preferred to the standard wing formers.

MM Aviation Contest- J7W1 SHINDEN-img_2637.jpg

The wings went on without incident. I added a couple of the intakes, which needed a little wrangling to get them in place.

MM Aviation Contest- J7W1 SHINDEN-img_2638.jpg

For a Wasiak kit, the fit is OK and up to par with most other kits of its day. The canopy is just sitting in place as I hope to cut the cockpit section open and add some mock-up of an interior.

MM Aviation Contest- J7W1 SHINDEN-img_2639.jpg

It's even coming out pretty straight! I'm glad I decided to do a clear canopy as it makes a huge difference (I think).

Hopefully more tomorrow!
Chris