Thread: Die cut
View Single Post

Old 12-08-2022, 07:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, FRD. I’m afraid I’m not going to be much help. As someone who enjoys building vintage paper models, I run into quite a few die cut examples. True, I’m not building old, original copies, I’m constructing models from scans. But in those scans, the tabs, slots and other perforations can be plainly seen as either lighter or darker lines. And they seemingly never line up with the artwork on the page.

I don’t know if the model’s printer is tasked with using the dies or if the printed pages are sent off to be cut before binding. In any case, when it comes to vintage models or today’s current efforts, it seems someone is always asleep at the wheel when it comes to proper registration of the dies. See the Shell Rumpler Tropfenwagen below. The faint white lines on the drawing are the die cut lines. Die crushed, as the balsa and tissue airplane enthusiasts say.
So, sorry to say, I can’t recommend an, “exemplary, pre-printed, die cut kit.” I’ll be anxious to see the results of your inquiry.

Die cut models aside, I can recommend that boys and girls learn how to handle a knife. It’s a skill that will serve them for the rest of their lives, and old-school paper modeling seems like a good opportunity to teach the proper use of edged tools. Just an idea.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Die cut-shell-berre-24.jpg