Thread: Upcoming models
View Single Post

Old 01-30-2023, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
That is clearly the airplane Murph and, wait for it - it flew out of Allegheny Airport in Pittsburgh. It was written off in an emergency landing when the engines failed in 1935 with no one injured. It could have been the airplane my parents flew in.

Crash of a Stinson Model A in Pittsburgh | Bureau of Aircraft Accidents Archives
Incident Stinson Model A NC15107, 16 Nov 1935

As I recall from my parents' recollections, they used to hang out at a place called Bill Green's, a nightclub/roadhouse next to the airport, and from time to time would take sightseeing hops. Dad didn't know the model number, but he described flying in a "three-engine Stinson with a funny windshield." The airline would have been called Central Airlines at the time (later Pennsylvania-Central Airlines).

More here on Central Airlines: Taking Flight! Pittsburgh's Gateway to the Skies - Pennsylvania Heritage Magazine

It looks like Central's Model A's were blue with red trim, just saying in case anybody wants to replicate that livery in a model.

Keep 'em flying!

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Upcoming models-central_airlines_poster.jpg   Upcoming models-stinson_model_a_central_airlines.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 01-30-2023 at 08:42 AM.