View Single Post

Old 01-30-2023, 09:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, DougH and Paskal and thank you both for your information concerning the two advertising trucks discussed above. Like myself, I find most modelers are just as interested in the history of the things we model as the models themselves. To that end, I’ll pass along some comments and ideas about the trucks in question.
DougH sent me a PM detailing his research into the Persil truck and trailer combo. With his permission, the following is his PM:

I have enjoyed your Vintage Model Retrospective thread and found it very interesting. The Persil advertising vehicle raised a few questions. You say Persil is made and advertised by Henkel which in general is correct except for a few countries where it is marketed by Unilever. Apparently Unilever gained the rights in 1931. Unilever have a strong presence in both the Netherlands and the UK. The truck looked like one manufactured by Guy Motors in the UK and the one in the photo is right hand drive. The registration plate also looks British. A little further hunting found another Guy vehicle also being used by Persil for advertising. (see attached photo) Also the sign writing looks like Dutch rather than German.

Today UK registrations can't have an I, Q or Z where by it's position they can be mistaken for a numeric 1, 0 or 2 i. e. at the end of an alphabetic string but I don't know when that came in. So GX is OK GZ is questionable.

That was as far as I got from a quick search.

All the best Doug

Thanks Doug. As I mentioned, I had difficulty in finding information about the Persil truck, and your research helped to fill in the gaps.

Pascal, your notes concerning the House of Chambrelent were enlightening. I had seen the name on a number of paper models, but did not understand the scope of their involvement in paper product production. I’m sure Tom Greensfelder knew, and I should have asked him.

Thanks again Doug and Paskel for your interest and comments.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Model Retrospective-truck-22.jpg