View Single Post

Old 02-17-2023, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
Small update from the end of this week (it's school holidays so I have a lot more modelling time than usual). The starboard wheel well was completed and both sides were painted. Although some sources show a dark grey, surviving aircraft have a green anodised coating in these areas, so a mixture of green and a little aluminium went into there and the firewall of the starboard engine.
I've decided to have a go at making this with the cowl off and the Jumo 213 visible, at worst I've still got the cowl part which can be stuck on if it goes wrong. As per my usual method of building in order of fragility, this will come later on in the build when I'll need to handle the model less.
Started on the cockpit by adding a floor, side and rear walls and painting dark grey (approx. RLM 66). After this, the raised floor for the radio operator's seat and the radios themselves were added, plus a grey box which I assume is ammo storage for the R/Os single machine gun. I didn't check photos took some artistic license with the six radios, making them larger and arranging 3x2 rather than 2x3. A little suggestion of knobs and dials was added using some paper discs and off-white pointed with a toothpick.
Also added the upper wing sleeves, and at that point decided to paint the outside of the model as it will unify the shade with these. I like the detail Brent has included but as far as I can see there should not be exhaust staining on the upper wing, and the mottling should be more subtle. So we'll be carefully going over with light grey, keeping the insignia and markings.