View Single Post

Old 02-19-2023, 11:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
This is how I do it. My techniques

I’m building a 1/200 scale Graf Zeppelin II. It’s a slight modification based on Alin Osarik‘s Hindenburg. It was a free download, but as far as I know it’s no longer available other than on pirate sites which I DO NOT recommend using. So if anyone has a legitimate download site please post it here. The file has 59 pages, of which 50 pages are parts. Half the pages are for the inner structure, the others are the outer fuselage and pods. Anyway while building this model I can demonstrate some of the techniques I have picked up through the years.

First, let’s look at my most used tools. For cutting I have a couple of exacto knives and a pair of Frisker spring loaded scissors. I bought a pack of 100 exacto blades from Amazon a couple of years ago. It is a good investment since I have about half the pack left. Without a sharp blade, you are tearing rather than cutting the paper. The spring loaded scissors are far better than regular scissors, much easier to use and less fatiguing on your fingers. I use a seam ripper to crease the fold lines. The small crochet needle is used to press together glued parts to make sure they have good adhesion. I use a small round needle file to roll small parts such as tubes and such. Small tweezers keep my dirty glue laiden fingers off parts. I have a couple of tools with ball ends to press seams together. For straight edges I use a steel ruler for long cuts, and left over plastic hotel keys or gift cards for small cuts. For glue I use Aleene’s tacky glue and super glue from the local Dollar Tree store. I use magnets from Harbor Freight to attach models to their stands, or wherever I want parts to be removable. Finally, a good sipping whiskey helps to time pass. I have a stand up work bench that I put a beveled glass top on, very useful for sharp cuts and bending folds.
Attached Thumbnails
This is how I do it.  My techniques-a3ab856f-0ddf-42e4-a582-6949f04a181b.jpg