View Single Post

Old 03-10-2023, 11:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Exclamation Gloster Meteor mk 3- Fly models in 1/33 scale

After years of vacillation about this kit ( see my thread on this :
Gloster Meteor III Fly model-need info ),

and more importantly the absurd way the engine nacelles are attached to the wings,
Gloster Meteor mk 3- Fly models in 1/33 scale-meteor-59.jpg picture from Gummikau build on the German forum

I finally decided to build it.
Gloster Meteor mk 3- Fly models in 1/33 scale-img_8090.jpgGloster Meteor mk 3- Fly models in 1/33 scale-img_8091.jpg

As observed my me and others that built it in the past, this is a really bad rendition primarily because it is hand drawn without effort to vette it out properly, parts do not fit well, colors and patterns do not match well or at all from one segment to the other and construction method makes no sense

but......

The main reason is that it is an early jet ( first generation ). Secondly, It is an important representative just as the German Me-262 jet fighter or the American P-59 Aircomet ( really a proof of concept and a jet trainer ).

And then, I found that I also had a Mk 1 kit that I built and finally an F8 version which Yoav designed and rendered.

So I thought of building a family of meteors. I actually built really awful version of an NF13 night fighter model published by the IAF magazine back in the 1980's. It was so bad, that even then, I could not finish and tried to cover it with silver paint with disappointing results.
Gloster Meteor mk 3- Fly models in 1/33 scale-old-iaf-magazin-nf13.jpg

here is a picture of the Mk 1 and Mk 8 I built
Gloster Meteor mk 3- Fly models in 1/33 scale-f1-f8.jpg

and a link to my Mk 8 build
Meteor F8-Yoav design in 1/30 Take 2

Knowing all that and still embarking on yet another bad model is not really a hobby anymore, but rather madness. Some even asked me why not repaint this model? The reality is that my Photoshop skills are in the sub zero territory's and so is my patience to start a repaint of an ill fitting model.

So saying all that, I will build the model with all of its faults. I will however depart from the construction method shown in the instructions and point out the changes as I go along.

Also, as an FYI, the model is almost finished, so there is no going back and fixing things. This is an Ugly Duckling that will never mature to a swan.

more soon.

Isaac