View Single Post

Old 03-15-2023, 08:43 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Thanks, Don. I've just begun the first step of the detailing process. First, I added lines to indicate the individual panels of armor. Then I drew on a drivers hatch, and a likely location in the front hull for a viewing port and a second machine gun, which some sources say the tank was equipped with (although it's not apparent in the period side view photo). The turret will come later, but in this step, I estimated its size and determined where it will be placed. I made copies of the various hatches and other parts that will be layered on for a better look during assembly. Due to a lack of pictorial evidence, the shape of the front hull and all these additional details are just conjecture of course, but they seem likely.

I have a page sized texture file that I use as the base for most of my armor recolors. I adjust the lightness/darkness, color/hue and saturation of this page for each model. The original image was a free downloadable concrete floor texture. Its random splotches of dark and light are much more interesting than a monochrome color, I think. Anyway, I select the entire customized texture page and copy it. Then on the model page I use the magic wand tool to select the areas that are to be colored and utilize the "paste into" function to fill them. I found a free screen/grate image online that was appropriate for the engine cover. I copied the image and filled the space in the same manner as described above.

Ink is expensive, and there's no point in adding color/texture to areas that will ultimately be hidden due to layering or be buried under another subassembly, so I intentionally leave those areas white.

The next step will be to add further details to the model such as rivets, highlights and shadows.
Attached Thumbnails
Barbastro tank SCW-development3.jpg