View Single Post

Old 04-13-2023, 07:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
For rolling tubes as well as getting them neatly glued along the seam, I use a knitting needle. I have a large collection, from thin ones with a cross section of say 3,5 mm to thick ones with more than 10 mm in thickness.
Make sure that they are metal, not plastic ones. The latter ones bend too easily. Other rods also are good to collect.

I roll a tube around the knitting needle, roll them up way smaller than the eventual diameter. I leave them rolled up for a while. Say an hour.
When I glue them, I attach the glue strip, let it dry for a moment, and then put glue on the other side. Get the two outer parts together, put a 10mm+ knitting needle in the tube, and use the surface of the knitting needle to press the seam along the tube until it's nice and tight. I sometimes even use a smaller knitting needle to rub over the seam to make it fit even better and tighter. The knitting needles are nice for shaping but also for having a sturdy object to press against.

Butelczynski's method is a good one too, if possible.
in addition to that, if I use photoshop in these builds, I also always make sure the seams are invisible. Sometimes there still is a long vertical seam over a rocket fuselage. I always try to hide the seams underneath the cable run / fuel plumbing fairings.