View Single Post

Old 05-14-2023, 07:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
next up are the feet and the trickier part of positioning the bird. The feet are pretty simple, scored and folder (I used a popsicle stich here to fold over) the inside part of two forward toes need paint, I like acrylic I think they are strengthened a bit with this, but have to wait for it to dry.
Wire is put inside the folded leg and the hind toes glued together I used floral wire but any small wire is fine, although I think it should be glued with ca glue gel to be really solid, although other glues can be used. Now to see how they fit on the branch, with holes made in the branch about 3/4 inch apart, with the feet facing in this direction, facing the other way is harder, but it's up to the builder. the marked holes on the bird are opened with a blade, and the legs go most of the way into the bird model, dry fit it to see, then pull them out a little to glue them into the bird with white glue. the feet go back into the branch the way you liked them, and draw down on the wires under the branch to bring the feet to the branch, position the bird straight about as shown, then prop the bird up to dry the legs in this way.

Both the legs in the bird and the feet on the branch need ca glue to stabilize them, but I like to glue in the legs with white glue first to be sure you like the way it looks, then can add the ca when dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Shrike new model-f3.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-f5.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-f11.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-f13.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-f10.jpg  

Northern Shrike new model-f15.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-f16.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-foot-d.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-f7.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-f8.jpg  

Northern Shrike new model-dsc_0369.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-dsc_0372.jpg  

Last edited by birder; 05-14-2023 at 08:12 PM.