View Single Post

Old 05-18-2023, 01:44 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I've got a lot done over the past couple of days. I drew up a black line version of a side sponson and printed it out only to discover that it was too small. I'm not sure what happened, but I suspect I had set the working page to the wrong magnification. No biggie. In the end, I double checked the working page magnification setting, and redrew the part - perfect fit!

Once I had the side sponsons sorted, I started on the texturing process. I adjusted the color/hue/saturation of my generic concrete floor image until I had a khaki shade that I liked. I saved this page as a new texture file. I selected and copied the texture file page, and using the "paste into" function, began to fill the B&W drawing with color. I flattened the image and then added the black rivets using the brush tool. Assuming a light source from above and slightly forward, I added appropriate highlight lines to each panel, and highlighted the tops of each rivet. Finally, I surrounded each hatch with a fuzzy shadow outline.

The hull is pretty big and requires internal support. I glued picture framing mat board sections to the inside of the model. When dry, I glued on all the various hatches, which are double paper thickness. I make it a habit to add these small parts before folding and gluing up the main assembly. Finally, I built the side sponsons and glued them to the hull. I neglected to take a photo of a disassembled sponson, my apologies. It's made up of 6 parts - the main part forms the roof, floor, and front face. Then there are two strips that are glued to the front face, and lastly, a center hatch and two side machine gun ports.

The last photo shows the prepared hull with the front piece that will go on next and start to close things up.
Attached Thumbnails
Holt 150 Ton Field Monitor-holt4.jpg   Holt 150 Ton Field Monitor-holt5.jpg   Holt 150 Ton Field Monitor-holt7.jpg   Holt 150 Ton Field Monitor-holt6.jpg