Thread: Lettering
View Single Post

Old 05-25-2023, 08:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I've figured out how to do this now. In the XCF files (in GIMP's native format) corresponding to the first two images, the white areas are transparent. It's now quite easy to exchange the backgrounds.

This drawing, and others from this project and some other projects, started out as pencil sketches, which I then cleaned up and inked or finished using another medium. I used good drawing paper, so it was possible to erase without ruining the drawings.

The most obvious way of doing the outlines would have been to use a technical pen, however this isn't what I did. Technical pen ink isn't strongly pigmented and this is very noticeable when used together with very strongly pigmented drawing tusche. Instead I used the black tusche from Rohrer and Klingner, which is a very deep black. You can't use drawing tusche with a fountain pen at all. You can, of course, use it with nibs and I do this sometimes, but not usually for drawings. Mostly, as with this drawing, I used a fine brush. It's more difficult and it takes longer but I enjoy doing it and I think the results are worth it.

I printed out the image using a copier and started cutting out the figure. I want to try adding joints, as in pop-up books, to make it moveable. I haven't made a direct comparison to the original drawing, but I think the colors reproduced quite accurately.
Attached Thumbnails
Lettering-what_angel_wakes_me_black_figure_transparent_background.jpg   Lettering-what_angel_wakes_me_transparent_figure_black_background.jpg   Lettering-what_angel_wakes_me_original_figure_kadmium_orange_gouache_background.jpg   Lettering-what_angel_wakes_me_original_figure_yellow_and_blue_watercolor_background.jpg   Lettering-dscf0005.jpg  

Lettering-dscf0006.jpg   Lettering-dscf0007.jpg  

Last edited by Laurence Finston; 05-25-2023 at 09:10 AM.