Thread: Lettering
View Single Post

Old 06-01-2023, 01:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I've taken my first steps toward making paper puppets out of my cut-outs. Yesterday I made a couple of failed attempts but early this morning it worked nearly right away.

The idea is to take the two pieces that are meant to be connected with a moveable joint, sandwich them between two small pieces of paper and stitch all four pieces together with needle and thread. In order for the stitch to hold but also allow the inner pieces to move, the outer ones must have two holes while the inner ones have only one.

First I poked holes through the pieces. For the inner pieces I used the awl. It was too early to do any hammering, otherwise I would have used a hole punch, which is what I'll do in the future. For the outer pieces I used the needle that I later used for sewing everything together. Then I reinforced all the pieces with cellophane tape and poked through the holes again.

Then I secured the two inner pieces with a piece of removeable drafting tape, which must lie outside of the hole. Then I tape the outer pieces to the inner ones on each side with the same tape. This time, the tape can cover the holes because it will tear easily when pulled off through the stitch.

Then I make a single backstitch through all four layers and secure it on the back side. Then I remove all the drafting tape carefully. This time, I had to pull on the paper a little bit to free up the stitch because the hole through the inner pieces wasn't large enough. This shouldn't happen when I use a hole punch.

Finally, I snip off as much of the outer piece on the front as possible. The head is now freely moveable with respect to the trunk (in the plane).

Of course, for "production", the outer piece on the front and the thread should match the color of the face of the top inner piece, unless a "special effect" is desired. A small button would also be a possibility.

Using a rivet might also work. I have a riveter and rivets for fabric, if I can find all the parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Lettering-dscf0001.jpg   Lettering-dscf0002.jpg   Lettering-dscf0003.jpg   Lettering-dscf0004.jpg   Lettering-dscf0005.jpg  

Lettering-dscf0006.jpg   Lettering-dscf0007.jpg  

Last edited by Laurence Finston; 06-01-2023 at 01:23 AM.