View Single Post

Old 06-02-2023, 01:59 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I'm back after a bit of an absence. Thank you for your very kind offer, xanthar. Your 3D model of the Holt steam tank wheel looks great. I see from the link that you provided that the 3 wheeled steam tank weighed in at 10 tons. The monster I'm modeling was projected to weigh 15 times that. Assuming that each wheel would have weighed at least 5 tons, we're still talking about them having to support a 130 ton hull. I just can't imagine lattice work wheels holding up to the stresses of traversing the uneven rocky terrain of the American southwest and northern Mexico bearing that kind of burden.

So...in the end I went with something more substantial and simpler to build. Even my simpler wheel is made up of 94 individual parts. It took quite a while to assemble the first one, and I had to make a few slight modifications to dial in the fit of the parts. Building the remaining three wheels should go quicker. In fact, the assembly line has already started.

Since I took the photo of the parts page (pic 1), I've added numbers to the wider arc shaped pieces so any future modeler would place them around the wheel in the correct sequence. I took the time to highlight the top of each rivet, so proper placement is important (to me, anyway) to preserve that little detail.

The rest of the photo shows the wheel from various angles. The last photo shows it slid in place over the axle.
Attached Thumbnails
Holt 150 Ton Field Monitor-holt34.jpg   Holt 150 Ton Field Monitor-holt35.jpg   Holt 150 Ton Field Monitor-holt36.jpg   Holt 150 Ton Field Monitor-holt37.jpg   Holt 150 Ton Field Monitor-holt38.jpg  

Holt 150 Ton Field Monitor-holt39.jpg