View Single Post

Old 06-12-2023, 04:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
Detailing S&P models - my builds

Hello folks,
I intentionally made the title of this thread a little different from the long-running ones from gomidafilho and Bruno himself to avoid confusion. The purpose is to put all the documentation of my Scissors and Planes and S&P repaints and such like into one thread for ease of reference rather than clutter the forum with individual ones, and in particular to focus on how these great simple models can be further enhanced with some scratchbuild techniques. There may be a few non-S&P models in here too, such as TSMC ones and from the downloads section here.

First of all, a short discussion on how I pick what to build. I think all of us aspire to have a core set of the 'greats' in whatever genre we like, so in the aircraft world it is hardly necessary to list the famous fighters, bombers and so on we have on the wish list and display shelf respectively. However, it still leaves the question of what exact variant to make, and other options. With that aside, rarer types present themselves that I will discover and want to build too. The nice thing about these kits is that there is almost always a decent range of paint schemes to choose from and that's before doing any DIY repaints or alterations to colours. I do not really want an entire shelf of brown and olive camo machines so I lean towards those that have some interesting colours and also a range of paint schemes across the whole collection. In addition to this from time to time I like to choose something on which I can try a new technique, so last year I expanded how much I painted the machine, and with weathering, and in future I intend to try using alu foil on an unpainted metal surface.

We will start with a Yak-9K fighter, which is part of a 2-aircraft kit repainted by Brent and available at ecards. This is a popular plane in the game War Thunder as it has a huge 45mm cannon for anti-bomber sorties. In real life this caused quite a few issues and was hardly needed by the end of the war so few were built, but it's a cool plane anyway and has an interesting set of decorations painted, including what I guess are two Order of Lenin medals. I will be doing some standard enhancements, namely:

- opening and detailing the landing gear wells
- making more realistic wheels and tyres
- opening up the cockpit and adding detail
- making a clear canopy
- adding skin texture and rivets
- adding weathering
- painting at least some of the model
- likely making a display base