View Single Post

Old 07-24-2023, 10:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReynoldsSlumber View Post
Aha, so a fat first stage motor on the D (through G, apperently), got it!

Also I think I ran across photo of a Scout on a launcher that was even more minimalist, where some of the supports were just straps, maybe. Can't find it now, though it would be interesting to model.

I imagine you've seen, in the Smithsonian's collection there's an Estes scale Scout model rocket as well as a static Scout model with launch tower, a heavy-duty version of the tower. In addition to their real Scout on display, of course!

By the way, someone was working on a 1/11.4 scale Scout D multi-stage flying model rocket.

Well, Since I am a Dutchie on a budget, I haven't really had an opportunity to visit the Smithsonian in DC. Wish I could.
My interest in the Scout originates from the fact the first Dutch satellite ANS was launched on a Scout (the pictures I showed were the actual Scout used in the launch) and I have made a documentary film about the satellite and its creators.
I made a 1/96th scale model of the Scout-D, which now resides in the National Dutch Space Museum, alongside a couple of other paper models I made of rockets and diorama's.

I love the smaller launch tower they used on Vandenberg / WTR because of the ingenious construction. The tower is positioned horizontally inside a hangar, the rocket is rolled to the hangar on a trailer, the satellite and 4th stage arrive together on another small truck, get connected to the rocket and the fairing is placed.
Then the entire hangar rolls back, revealing the rocket, now held by clamps and arms by the tower above it, which is raised like a mast and voilą, there it is the launch platform, which already was there all the time.

As a bonus pic, the biggest part of the Dutch crew involved in building the satellite posing in front of the launch pad.
(And here's a link to the trailer for the documentary..)
Attached Thumbnails
ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-1-scout-pacific-coast.jpg   ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-2-scout-hangar.jpg   ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-3-payload-4th-stage.jpg   ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-4-insertion-4th-stage-into-3rd.jpg   ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-5-payload-top-scout.jpg  

ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-6-fairing.jpg   ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-7-ans-horizontal.jpg   ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-9-ans-raised-rt.jpg   ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-11-launch.jpg   ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-10-ans-crew.jpg