View Single Post
 
Old 10-01-2023, 01:53 PM
Positive_Rate Positive_Rate is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bray, Wicklow
Posts: 457
Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
Nearly there!
My plan with the spinners worked – the prop axle stayed glued to the paper whilst I torqued the spinner strip around it. Initially I rolled it the whole way but I found it difficult to keep the tension on it and roll it so it made a flat edge at the rear. So I did it in 2 stages, the wider part first. This is supposed to result in a curved front face which it more or less does. I had to do this a few times to make sure there was no ‘hole’ in the middle of the spinner where there could have been a gap around the axle.

Next was the prop blades, I glued the 2 halves then twisted them into shape, nearly 90 degrees between prop root and prop tip. I looked hard to make each one identical or as near as, to the others.
Thought about the assembly of the prop blades to the spinner and decided to build a jig with the axle vertical in the middle. Was careful to give each root a decent blob of paper glue since the joint is tiny and since the glue (Kittifix) dries clear. Again I was careful about the angles between the blades but also that the prop tips were more or less at the same angle.

Am enjoying the improvisation in strengthening the landing gear and making the props but holy cow I do slow right down!

Fitted the tail wheel. I didn’t bother with trying to strengthen the inside, it would work in theory, but, the slot to take the white tabs is really too small to be passing a bracket through and gluing it in position. So instead I tried putting glue on the inside of the fuselage, ready to meet the white tabs as I pushed them into the slot. To my mind it might form an excess of glue making a ‘fillet’ at the base of the tabs. No clue if it worked or not. The tail isn’t so heavy anyhow, but I still think given time the tail wheel will bend.

I fitted the prop axle with dried blades this morning and was delighted with the result, a freely spinning prop when I blew gently on it! What a slog to get that result!
This evening I’ll make the second prop and fit the completed prop and engine. I’ll fit 2 washers on the prop axle, one to stop the axle moving aft into the truncated black cone when I blow on the blades, and one on the inside end of the axle to stop the axle falling out. I’ll make them out of hard plastic to reduce friction.

Regards,
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
DOUGLAS B-23 DRAGON - 1:72 - by TEX MOD-img-1553.jpg   DOUGLAS B-23 DRAGON - 1:72 - by TEX MOD-img-1554.jpg   DOUGLAS B-23 DRAGON - 1:72 - by TEX MOD-img-1555.jpg   DOUGLAS B-23 DRAGON - 1:72 - by TEX MOD-img-1557.jpg   DOUGLAS B-23 DRAGON - 1:72 - by TEX MOD-img-1556.jpg  

DOUGLAS B-23 DRAGON - 1:72 - by TEX MOD-img-1559.jpg   DOUGLAS B-23 DRAGON - 1:72 - by TEX MOD-img-1562.jpg   DOUGLAS B-23 DRAGON - 1:72 - by TEX MOD-img-1558.jpg   DOUGLAS B-23 DRAGON - 1:72 - by TEX MOD-img-1560.jpg   DOUGLAS B-23 DRAGON - 1:72 - by TEX MOD-img-1561.jpg  

DOUGLAS B-23 DRAGON - 1:72 - by TEX MOD-img-1563.jpg   DOUGLAS B-23 DRAGON - 1:72 - by TEX MOD-img-1564.jpg   DOUGLAS B-23 DRAGON - 1:72 - by TEX MOD-img-1565.jpg   DOUGLAS B-23 DRAGON - 1:72 - by TEX MOD-img-1567.jpg   DOUGLAS B-23 DRAGON - 1:72 - by TEX MOD-img-1569.jpg  

Reply With Quote