View Single Post

Old 11-10-2023, 12:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.57 GB
North American OV-10D Bronco in 1/72

See my separate 337 and OV-10 thread—again I've posted the pictures and construction details of this modification to a Scissors & Planes plan there. More observations about this series of scale indoor gliders:
  • I'm surprised and relieved to find that, for adequate roll stability, I don't need to increase the wing dihedral compared to the prototype. Outdoor gliders like Whitewings have pretty pronounced dihedral, and Ojimak's build instructions recommend substantially increased dihedral compared to the real thing. I think it's because outside you need an excess of roll stability in order to be tolerant of various launch attitudes as well as wind gusts. You want to be able to huck or slingshot the glider in an upward spiral and then have it roll wings nearly level, and you don't want a puff of wind to send it into a downward spiral.
    Funny enough, when I had the crash net up for the OV-10D and tried out the A-4E again, on one throw when I gave it way too much nose-up attitude, it stalled and went into a spin. Very realistic-looking in that sense too.
  • I'm finding the straight wing planes more controllable than the swept wing ones, so perhaps there's a difference in roll or yaw attitude sensitivity.
Here's the flying glider fleet so far, three in 1/72 and one in 1/200:
Scales for a flying glider fleet-ov-10d-39.jpg

Last edited by ReynoldsSlumber; 11-10-2023 at 02:06 AM.