View Single Post

Old 11-16-2023, 03:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
The Palace Gatehouse

The Royal Palace of Falkland was the hangout of the Stuart monarchs whilst they were hunting in the Fife Forest. Originally a medieval castle, it was improved and expanded by both James IV and James V into a Renaissance palace any king would be proud of. Perhaps the "Auld Alliance" between Scotland and France made it possible to import French master masons who gave the palace a chateau-like appearance. It was used by royalty as a bolthole during troubled times and was where James V had his deathbed.

Palace website: Falkland Palace | National Trust for Scotland

The model features only the gatehouse, and is another collaboration between Mesrs. Allan and Robson, published in 1980. It is the sixth, and as far as I know, the last in the "Houses of Scotland" series. If you've been following the thread I hope you've enjoyed the little trip.

It only remains for me to quote Ethel Barrymore: "That's all there is, there isn't any more".
Attached Thumbnails
Houses of Scotland-dscf0056.jpg   Houses of Scotland-dscf0053.jpg   Houses of Scotland-dscf0054.jpg   Houses of Scotland-dscf0055.jpg