View Single Post

Old 01-11-2024, 01:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.57 GB
US Navy F/A-18C Blue Angels #6 — Scissors & Planes Bundle 4

The Scissors & Planes plan is a neat little representation of the legacy Hornet, and it's nice that the bundle comes with the option to make all six aircraft from the formation plus the #7 two-seater. Have to say, the rather organic contours of the fuselage center section are tricky to fashion out of the patterns provided, since it's a single piece with no bulkheads or other formers. Also, the shapes that make up the air intakes, especially the air splitter details, are only roughly representative. To be sure, more accuracy there may be a lot to ask of a 1/100 model. If I do a bigger one as a glider conversion, I might try a different plan. Also, while gluing on the wings with their the leading edge extensions, I thought it was looking messy enough that I'd have to re-do the model, but when the glue dried clear it wasn't so bad.

For the canopy I used 24# bond/90 gsm vellum (tracing paper). One thing to watch out for when attaching a vellum canopy to the fuselage is that any excess glue along the edge can cause some inkjet printed color from the adjoining paper to seep into the vellum.

The photos showing the plane's belly are indeed upside down. Trying out this orientation to see if it's more natural to look at, as if the plane is stuck to the ceiling...
Attached Thumbnails
ATR 72, B-25J, F/A-18C: "This is your life" in 1/100 aircraft-fa-18-1.jpg   ATR 72, B-25J, F/A-18C: "This is your life" in 1/100 aircraft-fa-18-2.jpg   ATR 72, B-25J, F/A-18C: "This is your life" in 1/100 aircraft-fa-18-3.jpg   ATR 72, B-25J, F/A-18C: "This is your life" in 1/100 aircraft-fa-18-4.jpg   ATR 72, B-25J, F/A-18C: "This is your life" in 1/100 aircraft-fa-18-5.jpg  

ATR 72, B-25J, F/A-18C: "This is your life" in 1/100 aircraft-fa-18-11.jpg