Thread: Conestoga
View Single Post

Old 09-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Conestoga/Prairie Schooner/Covered wagon.

Thanks for the comments guys. This project is almost finished. I will have to place it aside for a while until I get the final touches done. Not only for this build, but for the other carriages as well. They all need the hubs finished and a few small items to add to each one of them.

I broke out my jewelry pliers and made the eyelets for the rope tie downs. I drilled holes at each hoop slat and inserted the eyelets into them.

The fun part was tyeing down each rope. Again, special tools were used. I used my medical clamps to hold and tie each knot.

At the front canvas , I pulled on the wrong rope and it recessed in to far to grab. I assumed that this probably happened to the pioneers, so I cut a slit and pulled the rope through and tied it down.

So let's see. I need provisions, oxen, Shanghai rooster and a hen, no... a bunch of hens (covey). a hog and an old yellow dog.

I was looking for the harness for the oxen and it seems that they were held in their place with the Yoke, which was attached to the Tongue (Hitching pole). If it was pulled by horses or mules, then they would have a harness set-up. So for simplicity, it is easier to have it pulled by oxen, and easier to hitch. this wagon would probably use a horse team. since it has a bench up front. The oxen pulled wagon had the team controlled by the driver on the outside walking along the side of the wagon.
Attached Thumbnails
Conestoga-172.jpg   Conestoga-173.jpg   Conestoga-174.jpg   Conestoga-175.jpg   Conestoga-176.jpg  

Conestoga-177.jpg   Conestoga-178.jpg   Conestoga-179.jpg   Conestoga-180.jpg   Conestoga-181.jpg