Thread: DnD dioramas
View Single Post

Old 01-16-2024, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viator View Post
Thanks!
I tried to purchase some additional 3D-printed figures once or twice but I found them rather oversized. The proper height of 1/72 figures are often called to be 28 mm however it is not a correct height of a person in this scale (a modern 180 cm tall man without any headwear and base would have 25 mm in fact). But at least nearly every sets of plastic figures are coherently scaled (except Zvezda designs which are slightly oversized). But when I purchased figures in the "1/72 or 28 mm" scale from one of the most popular vendor on my market, they proved to be nearly 32 mm high, so they couldn't be used together / mixed with other sets, and I was much disappointed with this fact. Few milimeters more make a big difference; they are more 1/64 than 1/72. So, that's why I am not so eager to purchase 3D-printed stuff (and awaiting 1-2 months for the delivery is not acceptable too, but it is unavoidable in the Polish market. Within a month I planned to finish the campaign of rpg and return to my 1/300 models and novels writing!).

The problem with gaming 'scales' is that they really aren't scales. 25mm means '25mm to the eyeline of a typical male human'. And all manufacturers suffer from scale creep, where the new figures in the 'scale' are slightly taller than previous releases.

When I design for 28mm to 30mm, I generally go with 1/55 to keep the figures from looking out of scale.

At one point, Reviresco was offering their 1/72 models to go with their 25mm figures, but decades later, you would need 20mm figures to look right with 1/72.

That's why I design terrain that is 1/55. Let the end user decide if 1/55 is right for them