View Single Post

Old 02-10-2024, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Got it! Another beautiful model.

Simon - I am typing off the top of my head without checking references, but as I recall, the American Volunteer Group (AVG), or "Flying Tigers," did not paint the Nationalist Chinese national marking on the fuselages of their P-40s. When the unit was incorporated into the USAAF as the 23rd Fighter Group (on the 4th of July(!) 1942) there was a period when the Nationalist (Republic of China) roundels were painted over with U.S. insignia and in lieu of national insignia on the fuselage some aircraft had symbolic representations of a flying tiger (tiger wilth wings as in Major Rector's aircraft) or a tiger with wings wearing a red-white-and-blue Uncle Sam top hat leaping through a Chinese Nationalist insignia so as to hit all the symbolic notes at one time).

Photo caption: "Former members of the American Volunteer Group, Flying Tigers, serving with the 23rd Fighter Group, standing beside a Curtiss P-40, Kunming, China, July 1942. Left to right: Maj. John R. Alison, Maj. David Lee "Tex" Hill, Capt. Albert J. "Ajax" Baumler, and 1st Lt. Mack A. Mitchell. National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C., Record Group 342. (http://www.footnotelibrary.com/image/#28827964)."

Ray - This Dogface had no problem making the purchase with my credit card. I am jusing Windows 10 and Edge with a PC.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
1/72 Curtiss P-40E Warhawk - Edward F Rector's Legacy-23rdfg_kinming_july_1942_insignia.jpg