View Single Post

Old 03-11-2024, 12:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhovi View Post
You are right John, the rigging of a historical ship is a daunting task for many beginners. Even if I wanted to I could not give a course here, because it simply is too wide a field. Start thinking about the materials you want to use: wood, plastic, rope, cloth, glues, dyes and so on.
Then you need the knowledge to make something that reflects in some way the rigging of the depicted ship. There have been books written about the subject in a much better way than I could even bring it into words.
Then you need some knowledge about how ships show up on paintings because they are a very important source for what kind of maneuvering ships do in respond to all kinds of weather.
To make a long story short: if you really want, take a plunge right into it. Let yourself advise as much as you can and simply do it.
That is the only way as far as I can see.
The speeljacht model is a wonderful chance to dip your toes in...

Indeed in preparation for rigging my current project I have gone over a wealth of research materials from books to videos and even got into the Aubrey-Maturin novels (Master and Commander) by Patrick O'Brian. I find it is often the case with paper models, that I end up learning a lot about the history and mechanics of the subject being built.

This little yacht looks excellent and I am sure will appeal widely.