View Single Post

Old 03-13-2024, 07:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Awful reading through this thread seeing the number of deceased members who engaged here.
I know their names pop up in other threads, but to see one after another like this is chilling.

Anyway...back on topic....

Passwords...to make it easier today, many of us use random password generators.
There are apps you can buy that allow you to generate a random password and keep track of it.

But there are also free online services (which is what I use) to create the password.
Just do a Google (or whatever) search for "random password generator".
Like this one: Random Password Generator | Create Strong Passwords | Avast

All you do is enter the length of characters needed (the more the better)
and select the combination of characters required.
Then hit generate.

I suggest you write down the password to remember it, or if you use a password manager like BitWarden, it will allow you to record the password for the site.

Web attacks.
Just recently I've noticed an increase in attempts to get into my Microsoft account.
(I get emails with my "one time passcode", stating that if I didn't request one, to just ignore it. Obviously someone else tried to log into my MS account and a passcode was automatically sent out)

You can check your MS account online and see activity, such as failed log in attempts.
I see half a dozen attempts every week, often from Chinese and Russian sources (but now many other places).
Mostly automated I think.
But the passcode generation means someone requested it (to get in).

I've also noticed in the past few weeks, an increase in rejected registrants trying to sign up at my paper model forum.
Since I manually vet every sign up, I check IPs and Emails against various blacklists and reject/ban them if they show up on any of those lists.

I'm also tough on suspicious User Names...things like "ImAHacker", so be warned. lol.

I changed my MS acct password today, because my standing one didn't seem to work.
Just in case, I changed it.
You can view your log in activity here: Check the recent sign-in activity for your Microsoft account - Microsoft Support
You just have to sign into your MS acct.

Take a look at the number of attempted log ins to my acct in the past couple of weeks.
You'd think I was someone important!

I can click on any of the entries to see more details about exactly where (IP and location) the attempt came from and why it failed (eg incorrect password).
Attached Thumbnails
Illegal Logins / Failed Login Notification notification-ms-facts_1133x800.jpg