View Single Post

Old 04-04-2024, 06:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
How can I choose one option?
If the part is flat and the edge is straight, a solid tab is better.
If the part is to be rounded, shark teeth (or none at all) will be better. But sometimes (for example two coaxial cyllinders glued together) the flat tab will be okay for rounded parts too.
If the part is valley folded or made of thin paper, integral tabs will be okay.
In case of thick (layered) parts and especially when angles are equal to 90 degrees or greater, the separate tabs are far better.

According to my experience the most important tips regarding the gluing tabs are the following:
1) avoid them at all if they aren't absolutely necessary. As a rule I remove some 80% of gluing tabs from the model and try to glue the parts applying the glue directly on edges. Of course, I am focusing on architecture. In case of aeroplanes perhaps more than 80% of all the tabs will be necessary.
2) think thrice if the tabs are properly located. Some authors of the models print them in such manner that the proper and clean gluing is really impossible. For example, avoid alternating tabs along the polygonal edge. It helpes the vertices to meet one another but the seam looks really bad due to the shadows and the process of gluing is very tiring if you want to make it clean and get the good adhesion in the same time.
3) avoid applying glue on gluing tabs! Apply the glue on the reverse of the part which will be connected to the tab. And don't forget to paint not only the edges of the parts but, in case of integral gluing tabs, do paint some 1-2 mm wide strip of the tab if the tab itself is not colored.

Last edited by Viator; 04-04-2024 at 06:22 AM.