View Single Post

Old 04-15-2024, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello friends,

the longer I look at the greatly simplified Solar probe body from the Paper Kit and compare it with NASA photos and videos, the more things I notice that I don't like yet, which is why I decided to scratch several details that were only printed and thereby refine the probe's outfit a little.

The X-Band High Gain Antenna shown in the kit as a flat cone actually has, like all space probe antennas, an inwardly curved, concave shape and is covered by a foil, whereby it because of the three struts underneath just appears as a flat cone, which I have already covered by gluing on aluminium foil.

That's why I first stuck over the blue outline of the antenna on the top of the probe, which is simply wrong there and is just irritating.

But I could have saved myself that, because as you can see on NASA videos, the sides of the probe body are partially covered with reflective silver and black foil, which is why I came up with a new idea.

And since I like to use different materials, I looked for suitable stuff in my stocks and found some too,

such as:

1 Aluminum household foil, smooth, shiny front

2 Aluminum household foil, heavily creased, matt shiny back

3 Aluminum household foil, slightly wrinkled, matt shiny back

4 Plastic film (robidog.com), , is certainly familiar for German dog owners.

5 Construction paper, black, smooth

6 Construction paper, black, slightly creased

Now I just have to decide, although I'm leaning towards aluminum foil and paper because it's easier to glue.

Then I looked closer at the rod constructions at the two corners, which are also covered, but I still have to take a closer look at them. At the top of the wider construction there is a Gamma-ray spectrometer for analyzing Gamma-ray spectra.

In order to be able to scratch these constructions, I first have to determine their dimensions, which is known to be a stressful business of measuring and scaling based on a reference dimension, At least I've already started with the wider construction. The one on the opposite side is narrower, for whatever reason.

Source: Arizona PBS
This will be another stressful torture for my eyes again, but don't panic, they always survived it so far.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)