View Single Post

Old 04-26-2024, 08:36 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Matt’s tools and tips…

Matt provided some tips toward better models. He was working on a tiny lighthouse that day, permitting examination of his process and the tools that he used (see pic 1). In the pic, note that atop his self-healing cutting matt, he had a dentist tool and a metal ruler. A second project, also in process, was hidden behind his tiered exhibit of builds (see pic 2).

Matt shared that he uses Elmer’s white glue, as it dries fast and provides consistent performance. He also suggested using tweezers to hold the parts together, to permit secure joining of parts for such small surfaces. He also suggested that, if wanting to make domes and other rounded shapes, like in the U.S. Capital Building, use tissue paper to hold the shape together. In one project process, I noted that he seemed to be using an Exacto knife as a rounding tool (see pic 3).

As for suggested tools, Matt encouraged seeking out dentist tools, as they are the best that he has found to form shapes and provide sharp connections and folds. Dentist tools are also made of surgical steel, which encourages duration and easy to clean.

The selection of tools included the afore mentioned dental tool, along with the Exacto knife, a small metal ruler for bending micro-parts, Elmers glue, and some brand of fast drying glue (like Super Glue). The selected all were placed upon a self-healing matt and included a sharp pair of scissors (see pic 4).

Picture 1: Postcard lighthouse i-p…

Picture 2: Tools and process…

Picture 3: Tools…

Picture 4: Tool set…
Attached Thumbnails
The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-postcard-lighthouse-i-p.jpg   The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-tools-project-process.jpg   The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-tools.jpg   The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-tool-set.jpg  

Last edited by THE DC; 04-26-2024 at 08:37 PM. Reason: pics failed