View Single Post

Old 04-27-2024, 04:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

for a change, today I dealt with the covered the X-Band High Gain Antenna again and initially replaced its surface with a more shiny silver aluminum foil.

Then I've thought about how I could scratch the continuous all-round covering of the antenna below the cone, by using dark paper (After Eight), which on this image could be seen more clearly than I had previously recognized.

Due to the slight inclination of the antenna, I needed the unrolling of this fairing, which I've fiddled with for a while.

To do this, I first cut a strip of paper the length of the circumference of the antenna (Ø 30 mm), which had to be 100 mm. I then rolled it up and placed it around the antenna so that I could mark the height contour of the antenna against the lamplight,

which wasn't that easy.

I could use this small plastic can (Ø 30 mm) as a support for the wrinkled lower foil cladding, which does not have sufficient inherent stability, when I mark the determined contour line on it and remove the remaining excess.

This is the unrolling of the cladding, which I can now transfer to the After Eight paper and cut out after wrinkling and apply it below the antenna,

which I hope will succeed.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)