View Single Post

Old 05-12-2024, 08:30 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Good eye, cfuruti. I see a few inverted rivets in photo #5 that I hadn't noticed. When I recolor I try to visualize a light source coming from overhead and very slightly to the front - maybe 10 to 15 degrees from perpendicular. This way I can avoid the very un-3D "donut" rivet look on flat surfaces. It can become confusing when looking at a 2D part that has to be folded in multiple directions - ok, the light is coming from above/front on this panel, this other panel is folded down, so the light comes from directly above, etc. It gets doubly confusing when parts are rotated on the paper for best fitment. Sometimes I have to rotate the page 90 or 180 degrees to help me decide which side of the rivet should be highlighted, and which side should be in shadow. A few mistakes always get through, but I'm getting better at it. I've seen published kits where the entire page assumes a light source from the same direction. That might be a time saver for the artist, but it never works when a 2D page is converted into a 3D model. When assembled, it appears that there are multiple light sources coming from different directions. Very confusing to the eye.