Thread: PC trouble
View Single Post

Old 11-06-2009, 07:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
To be honest, it sounds more like a hardware failure...

but a format and new install is the first step to determining this.
I reinstall Windows every six months or less...partly because it sucks, and partly because its the only way to properly remove all viruses, corruptions, etc and repair lost, damaged or missing files.

Put you Windows disk in the drive.
Reboot your system...
if your BIOS is setup correctly, the system should ask you if you want to "boot from the CD"..press a key and continue that way.

(if it doesn't boot from the CD with a Windows installation
you may need to kick start it...
when you see the first information screen you need to press F8 or F11 repeatedly until you get the "boot from CD" message)

What you want is a blue screen install of Windows.
Choose fresh installation (never "Repair")
...but first you must "format" the partition you which to install Windows onto.
Read the options carefully...select the correct partition (sounds like yours is "C" drive)
Format using NTSC (or FAT if you want more secure but a smaller drive)
Always opt for "full" not quick or shortened formats.

Everything will be wiped from that drive, so make sure you move and backup anything you want to save, including internet favorites, emails, addresses, etc.
Cookies and Internet files can be easily restored, so those aren't really important to back up.

Basic Motherboard and system drivers will stay intact...but any plug and play devices, added hardware, etc will require driver reinstalls.
There are a few "driver backup" programs available to assist with this (if you don't have install disks for all your hardware).

Service Pack 2 and 3 do have some compatibility issues with other softwares, etc...so be warned.
Its also possible you have a vorus or curruption...the format will take care of that for you, but you should consider a good antivirus program.
The "free" AVG software is NOT what I consider a "good" AV program.
(Buy the full program or try another.**)

**For free AV software, I recommend AVIRA...fantastic program! full coverage (upgradeable for a small cost to a full blown AV system), but the basic is completely free with all database updates for ever!...and it works better than AVG, Panda, Kapersky, Norton or Macafee in my opinion!