View Single Post

Old 12-07-2007, 10:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Curtiss P-40B - coming soon to GreMir Models

I've been trying to have this plane completed by today - after all it is an anniversary - but work and family stood in the way....

Even since I showed any interest in war in the Pacific, I was intrigued by the story of George Welch and Ken Taylor. For those that do not know them - those are the two guys who singlehandedly fought against hordes of Japanese planes (pulling all kinds of crazy stunts) during the Pearl Harbor raid, well at least according to Hollywood version of the event
Thruth was certainly not that colorful, but nevertheles, against all odds they did get in the air and did some shooting down...
Model that will be available as soon as I'm done building will have alternate parts to build either white 160 plane (Welch) or white 316 (Taylor).

Now on to the photos....
Can't show you any photos taken during cockpit construction because I lost them during the PC crash but there were no problems there and everything fell into place very nicely. Cockpit is fairly detailed but not overdone in the Halinsk's manner.
Some of the detail is visible in the photo.
The only issue I encountered so far is the internal part for the tail wheel segment. It was to small to wrap around the formers nad to big to go inside of them. I took liberty to shorten it so it fit in between the formers and I added strips of paper to hold it there. By doing this I ended up with the last former being to small so maybe this part should be longer and go inside the first former but outside the second....
Doesn't really matter since all this will be invisible and the former for the tail will close the segment...
One more thing - I forgot about one basic rule... :o
Lukasz uses both butt-joint and connecting strip method but I forgot to properly fit together two adjoining formers and this shows a bit....
Attached Thumbnails
Curtiss P-40B - coming soon to GreMir Models-white_160_07.jpg   Curtiss P-40B - coming soon to GreMir Models-white_160_02.jpg   Curtiss P-40B - coming soon to GreMir Models-white_160_03.jpg   Curtiss P-40B - coming soon to GreMir Models-white_160_04.jpg   Curtiss P-40B - coming soon to GreMir Models-white_160_05.jpg  

Curtiss P-40B - coming soon to GreMir Models-white_160_08.jpg