PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 09-26-2010, 05:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
UHU's Discovery XD-1

Not sure where to post these, so I'll make a new thread. I am still plugging away at UHUs Discovery, and in anticipation of his Aries 1-B being released soon, I am trying to get it done soon. Some of these pics have been posted elsewhere, but I'll consolidate them here and invite anyone else who has built/is building the model to contribute as well.
Old pictures:

Since those were taken, I have had good progress. I am pretty much done with everything as far as the reactor module/engines (pics to come). The command module WAS done, until I realized that my $%#@!& printer had failed me and printed the parts of the "collar" on the back of the CM smaller than the CM -- requiring a rebuild. First I rebuilt the CM, then the collar. Gave me a chance to improve, which was good, because the new one looks so much better than the original one I made. Still needs the pod bay doors installed, but mostly done.

Rear collar assembly is not glued in. I have hopes (and possible hinting) that the interior could be forthcoming in the future. Anyway, the doors need to be glued in, too -- I'm leaving the collar as a friction fit arrangement until later.
I have a lot of little boxes to make next. :D
More to come. Is anyone else building this model?
Google Adsense
Old 09-26-2010, 06:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
that´s just wonderful! The movie is one of my favourite.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 178.45 MB
I've found (and downloaded) today the Discovery and a Pod... Oh joy! A happy day!
Seriously, I'm really glad that this model exist. I had a glance at the Uhu site and saw the Aries under construction, so I started to search for a "download" button like a madman. Olny now I realise that is still under developement. Thanks for the pictures.
Sigh! Now is also the Discovery in the line after the Graf Zeppelin, the Vostok, the Leopard, the Voskhod and the R7-Sputnik...
Old 09-26-2010, 02:01 PM

More pics. Apologies for the orange-ish lighting -- we use compact fluorescents, which seem to result in odd tints. I'm going to experiment a little and see if I can get better results in a room other than the work area. (The blur is from my hands trembling. I need a tripod or less caffeine.)
The rear end is drooping very slightly, which will need a little support work internally -- no problem at all. The top opening of the reactor module is not glued shut yet for just that purpose.

Second iteration of the CM looks much better than my first build. Still needs pod bay doors.

I am also happier with the new CM's airlock door. I cut off the small tabs of the strip surrounding the opening, and cut the door out with a border, so that it could be fitted to the backside without the use of tabs. All in all, it worked much better for someone with large thumbs. :D

Still considering a rebuild of the spine and maybe even the reactor module, but I'm not certain of that yet. I've gotten better since I began this model, and I feel like I could do it more justice with a second attempt. All the pieces come apart at this point, so they are interchangeable. I build like this a lot -- constructing sub-assemblies repetitively until I have a good example, and then using those. (I'm hoping to eventually use some of the "factory seconds" to portray Discovery from "2010", with the sulfur dust coating the exterior. Still thinking about how to depict that, but that will be later...)
Old 09-26-2010, 02:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
very nice build thank you for sharing
Google Adsense
Old 09-26-2010, 06:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Very nicely done mate. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Jim
Old 09-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Amazing focus and execution on all those little fiddly bits - not sure if the pod can be built that small to match, though.
Yogi
Old 09-26-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
...not sure if the pod can be built that small to match, though.
Yogi
Hmm. Ideas. :D
I actually have the older version of UHU's EVA pod, which is slightly simpler and lacks an interior and moving parts. Perhaps I could shrink it to size -- although I am talking about a completed model that would be about an inch tall...
Old 09-26-2010, 10:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 22.32 MB
I went to the site and ran it through Google Translator, but I don’t see a way to download any of the models. Am I missing something?

Mark
Old 09-27-2010, 01:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 201.55 MB
there is a user name and password that you have to type in somewhere. Username and Password removed, we respect the designer's wishes

Last edited by rickstef; 09-27-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Google Adsense