PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 04-25-2017, 02:31 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
april 15 2017

Some models I have been knocking off my list, Klingon disruptor mod from that game rip, I cant seem to find the author. I enlarged it and am putting leds in it.
The fishing line I am using is not working out, as the glue diffuses the plastic and less light transmission is the result.
So, I am cutting them short and might even eliminate them and fill the thruster ports/running lights, with glue, and then put a white led behind them.
I will have to use aluminum tape to lightblock the inner hull.
Attached Thumbnails
spaceagent-9 projects-gedc2481.jpg   spaceagent-9 projects-gedc2486.jpg  
Old 05-02-2017, 06:07 PM
Banned

sky seeker

sky seeker asked me in a forum that is closed for repairs right now about how to smooth out joins so that they don't look like mountain ridges on pics. I think that is a good question and several people here are excellent at that!!!
so I would like them to volunteer a few hints please.
the two things that come to mind that I have used or admired, are using clear tape to make cylinders look like metallic tubes and also floor wax as a sealant. of course, using a butt-join with a strip on the back always smooths things out, or gluing them over a rod or toothpick, even back-crushing them with a marble or a spoonish tool. pencils work better than pens if you are covering up the white paper ends at a join, because of the bleed effect of the wet ink on the paper, soaking it up and smearing the color.
spray lacquer has its charms, if you dust 10 coats on, and then pour on the gloss coat and let it drip off. be very careful and always open a window.
as for me, I am still just building to build, knocking out as many as I can for fun and experimentation of ideas.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 47.62 MB
I find the big one is for surface joints, to always move the glue tabs to behind and not only edge colour, but also colour the tab. This helps a lot to fill in the joint.
On a curved edge always burnish the joint to even it out.
For edge colouring, my preference are art paint markers. Good paint markers, the colour is not as diluted as in colouring markers and thus don't bleed as much. They are more expensive, but the result justifies the cost.

"Modeling is not just a hobby. It is also a craft and an art form"
Old 05-12-2017, 12:16 PM
Banned

I agree, go over the line with the color so some cracked white or cut edge white doesn't infringe. black goes well on dark colors but either pencils or ink pens make it much better. I step my tabs or replace with butt joints. still not an expert on this stuff, mostly just build and move on to the next new build for fun. I fold the tab down, then use a ruler on the edge, and fold it up so there is a lip instead of a flat surface. ''''''l__''''''''' it works very well, xoloring the tab is a new move I will definitely learn!! thanks!
Old 05-12-2017, 06:19 PM
Banned

well, another solution in my endless lighting up the paper star trek models. weighing frustration/worktime levels against $$ costs, I would say that either printing on onesided metallic paper or printing black on the blank side of a printed model, is the way to go. foil, foil tape, masking, painting, fiber optics, light boxes and many many more options, is the way to go. metallic sided party bag paper is almost thick enough, metallic sided card sheet, and thick card stock with black printed on the non- model print side. I will demonstrate the effect soon. either use typing paper or white masking tape for windows or glue the holes in, hot glue, translucent liquid glue or Styrofoam backing.
Google Adsense
Old 05-12-2017, 07:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 47.62 MB
I have used black card to laminate the back of the surface to be lit. Then created a light box around the area using black poster board and a white paper insert as a reflective surface. Also Black Tulip fabric paint is you friend for light leaks.

"Modeling is not just a hobby. It is also a craft and an art form"
Old 05-13-2017, 06:01 PM
Banned

I will try that black tulip paint tip , thanks!
Old 05-13-2017, 10:56 PM
Banned

https://twitter.com/Story_terror/sta...93781268381697
Old 05-14-2017, 09:13 PM
Banned

almost done

I enlarged Rawen's Klingon D7 tos 50th anniversary set
so I could light it up. I used blue and turquoise leds.
many thanks again to Rawen!
Attached Thumbnails
spaceagent-9 projects-rawen-kd7-52017.png  
Old 05-14-2017, 11:14 PM
Banned

enlarged KBOP

put some blinkers and green leds in this one. never have been able to contact the author.

https://www.facebook.com/jim.sapp.90...1856917098701/

https://www.facebook.com/jim.sapp.90...1856807098712/
Attached Thumbnails
spaceagent-9 projects-klingon-bird-prey-enlarged-5-2017.jpg  
Google Adsense