PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 11-27-2012, 01:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Flying ship inspired by Ian Mcque

This all started when I accidentally stumbled to a blog full of fantastic sci-fi art. The artist is Ian Mcque, prominent digital artist with extensive CV in games industry (working with GTA among other games as well). I fell in love with his images and have spent hours browsing those fantastic paintings (that’s what they really are, no 3 D work behind the images). Take a look, it’s addictive work:

IAN MCQUE | CONCEPT ART

I wanted to have a model of my own like the ones in Mcque’s images. I Googled and found out that our modeling friends in the plastic side of the hobby had done some interesting models. Julius Perdana’s Paper-Replika offers a paper version of flying boat design (certainly inspired by Mcque too). Designer is Tekzo (he's a member here but I didn't find any build thread of that ship) and you can find Tekzo's paper version here:

Cupank Mk.2 Flying Boat Paper Model

Those couple ’Mcque’ models in plastic are great but the flying boat model is already sold out (limited edition) besides it was way of my budget. Take a
peek at this site anyway, great scifi-mecha modeling stuff there:

Industria Mechanika

Great collaboration between consept artists like Mcque and some talented modelers. The modeler behind the company is Michael Fichtenmeyer (aka FichtenFoo) and here is his own corner:

FichtenFoo

Below you can see one example of Ian Mcque's consept art. Anyway after consideration what to do I decided to make my own model from scratch (litterarily because my fiscal situation doesn't allow anything I build using all existing material (this a good side of our paper hobby, you don't necessarily need a budget to be able to build). I am not trying to replicate any of the Mcque’s boats but intend to take bits and pieces from all of them when they suite my plans and feeling. This is my ‘hommage’ to an inspirational artist.

I made few sketches and started to build. Kinda old school paper modelling style. I cut templates from office paper and when I was satisfied with the form I traced it to cardboard, cut the part out and glued it in place.

Hull was made with one piece deck plate and below it I glued I guess six formers for the hull plating. Before the final plates I covered the hull with narrow paper strips glued in two layer diagonally around the hull. Hull was pretty stiff at that stage and after plating it’s rock solid. Deck piece and the formers are 2 mm cardboard and the plating is cereal box strength.

After that I've been detailing the vessel on work with the hull is half way now. Rivets, support beams, bolts, welding seams, keel and numerous fins etc. Over 200 parts glued so far and I am confident enough to show the works to you guys. This is where I stand with it at the moment - so far everything is paper cardboard and glue. Tools used: hobby knife, scissors, metal ruler, pencil and punch tools.

I started the build at Dave's forum and now I will continue publishing the progress hand in hand with you guys too. If you want to take a look at the previous steps go here. I hope you like what you see.

Best Regards,

Tappi
Google Adsense
Old 11-27-2012, 02:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
One day, I would like to create something of that kind. I have an old (when I was teenager) affinity with this style of design...

Of course, I will follow your master build with great interrest !!
Old 11-27-2012, 04:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 352.00 MB
That's fantastic. It asymmetries distinguished the model from the common scifi models. Very nice!

regards Loenf
Old 11-27-2012, 05:34 AM

@ Pat - I return your compliment saying one day I would like to be able to design a decent paper model of my own. :-)
@ Loenf - it has a certain 'je ne sais quoi' in it. When I was a kid I read all the Superman and Spiderman comics like everybody else but gradually turned more towards European sci-fi comics. My favourite is Enki Bilal. I like a science fiction when the story or the pictures carry remnants of the days gone by. Hopeless romantic I am.

I'm working with the deck plating and the railings now. I hope to get a picture of that work here even today.

Thanks gentlemen,

Tappi
Old 11-27-2012, 06:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 352.00 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapcho;328685[B
@ Loenf[/B] - it has a certain 'je ne sais quoi' in it. When I was a kid I read all the Superman and Spiderman comics like everybody else but gradually turned more towards European sci-fi comics. My favourite is Enki Bilal. I like a science fiction when the story or the pictures carry remnants of the days gone by. Hopeless romantic I am.

One of my favorit ships (and it is no spaceship) is the Nautilus from Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. A beautiful submarine, looks like a mixture of whale and Octopus.

regards Loenf
Old 11-27-2012, 07:20 AM

I remember that. Fine sub it is (here's one fine picture of it).

Tappi
Old 11-27-2012, 11:15 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Nicely Different

Tapcho,

Think you may have started something here - could be addicting though. Don't leave the warning on the engine off "Danger - This Engine Does Not Give A Shit About Safety"...,

+Gil
Old 11-27-2012, 11:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Flying ship inspired by Ian Mcque

Wow, Tapcho,

this is something else altogether - you have a great imagination and creativity, from what I can see...

Thanks for sharing - it will be exciting to watch your progress on this project, for example on the coloring.

Keep up the good work!
Bengt in Stockholm
Old 11-27-2012, 12:50 PM

Hi Gil and Bengt, glad you joined. This is different to me too - pretty much my first sci-fi model. Todays work includes deck plating and deck hatches with hinges. I also realised that the fins are movable, there's an axle through the hull and I can position them the way I want. Action toy this is.

Not much to add to the hull at this stage. Next phases will happen as separate sub-assemblies: crane to the bow, cabin and engine bay. I need to scout some free jet model and borrow the hot end of an jet engine. Any ideas which one, I need it to look prominent.

Best Regards and more tomorrow,

Tappi
Old 11-27-2012, 11:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.43 MB
I love watching these design as you go builds. The build quality looks excellent as well. Great work.
Google Adsense