PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 02-02-2013, 10:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Yes it is RocketMan's plans, I should have made that clear in my description.
I thought of using water colors but the water part had me concerned. I was afraid it might cause the ink to run but considering the problems I had with the Sharpie and the Prismacolor coloring pencils I think I will do some experimenting with water colors. Besides I have already decided that some time in the near future I want a Laser printer, now that I know what the difference is!
Thanks for your input, Petseal
Old 02-03-2013, 09:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.57 MB
Petseal, that's incredible!
very nice build . did you have any white seems around one of the columns?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
The model looks good.

Yep, always do the edging before glueing the parts. I use Prang brand colored pencils. You can apply the color dry or a quick dip in some water makes them act a little like water colors. They also can be blended a bit.

Another useful hint is if the model has tabs then color some of the tab where it is attached to the colored area of the part. That way you can disguise any small misalignments that might occur. If using joining strips then color the area of the strip where the two parts join up.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihik View Post
Petseal, that's incredible!
very nice build . did you have any white seems around one of the columns?
Not totally sure what you are referring to!
I have done plastic models for years and one of the main guide lines, and one used in paper models too I've seen, is to dry fit the part first. This only became an issue towards the end of the build and I did run into some white areas around the tops narrow parts of all four corner pieces.
Long before that point I had remembered my trusty Prismacolor coloring pencils so I just colored in the white to cover it up as best as possible.
Hope that helps hihik, Petseal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
The model looks good.

Yep, always do the edging before glueing the parts. I use Prang brand colored pencils. You can apply the color dry or a quick dip in some water makes them act a little like water colors. They also can be blended a bit.

Another useful hint is if the model has tabs then color some of the tab where it is attached to the colored area of the part. That way you can disguise any small misalignments that might occur. If using joining strips then color the area of the strip where the two parts join up.
Thanks for the tip SCEtoAUX!
I will look for that brand of coloring pencils and give them a try.
Once I did remember the coloring pencils I did have I was using them to edge the parts, mostly . And if you see what I wrote to hihik I did kind-of use your idea when I discovered the white areas during the final assembly, but I think it might be a good idea to hand color the tabs all the time just to keep the joints neat and clean!

Thanks guys for your input and suggestions!
My thanks and appreciation, Petseal
Old 02-07-2013, 09:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.05 MB
Unhappy

I took a crack at this model as well. I think the pieces all fit together well. I did have to shave a bit off the sides of the wall panels once they were assembled. I didn't reinforce the walls, and it shows. When I get around to building this again, I plan to reinforce with posterboard.
Attached Thumbnails
TARDIS by rocketmantan-picture-004.jpg   TARDIS by rocketmantan-picture-037.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-08-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperplanecrash View Post
I took a crack at this model as well. I think the pieces all fit together well. I did have to shave a bit off the sides of the wall panels once they were assembled. I didn't reinforce the walls, and it shows. When I get around to building this again, I plan to reinforce with posterboard.
Great build Paperplanecrash, very clean & neat and you did a much better job with the light cap than I managed to do! I also agree it does need some reinforcement to help straighten the walls. I tried to reinforce the walls of mine by making four 1.1" (approx) tall boxes to slide up inside the main box but I still ended up with wavy sides
You mention posterboard which is what exactly? Is that the stock that has two pieces of paper with a foam core, if it is I also need it for the internal structure of a Russian designed Bender paper model but I did not know what it was called! (If that is not the correct name for that type of paper product I would appreciate if someone would give the proper name so I can find some, thanks!)
I took rocketmantan's TARDIS file into Staples to have it printed at 200% to get it at approx 1/8 scale but it was to big to print on 11" x 17" card stock! So that was a bust! Although I have the proper PDF programs to modify a PDF file I have never done one so I did it the old fashioned way, I scanned, it pulled it apart and reassembled it on twice the number of pages (actually went from 5 pages to 9). So all I need to do now is print it to size, put it together (I will post a pic showing the size difference) and I should have one in 1/8 scale which I can then use as reference to make out of Balsa wood.
Thanks for posting Paperplanecrash, look forward to seeing any other TARDIS builds you do, Petseal
Old 02-08-2013, 07:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.57 MB
paperplanecrash, bravo!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 PM

I'm not sure if the posterboard Paperplanecrash referred to is the foam core type board I described but I came across some in a Dollar Store today for $1.25 so I bought 3 sheets (20" x 30").
Don't know what it's called (foam-core board ?) but I own some
Later, Petseal
Old 02-11-2013, 08:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.05 MB
Petseal, Yes, that's the stuff. I am going to build this again, I think it would be fun to put a flashing light and sound chip in to simulate the time travel effect.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperplanecrash View Post
Petseal, Yes, that's the stuff. I am going to build this again, I think it would be fun to put a flashing light and sound chip in to simulate the time travel effect.
Thanks for the confirmation on the name of the foam-core board, helps a lot!
Can't wait to see your re-build of the TARDIS with a flashing light and a sound chip, sounds (sorry no pun intended) COOL! Hopefully you will be able to put up a video so we can see and hear it when it's complete!
As I have mentioned in past posts in this thread I plan on building a TARDIS in 1/8 scale out of Balsa wood. I am also planning on putting lights behind the windows and Police signs, and now thanks to you sir, I will also be installing a flashing light in the dome!
Thanks much for the input Paperplanecrash, it is very much appreciated!
Till next time, Petseal
Google Adsense

Tags
tardis