PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 04-14-2014, 01:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
The Roman Empire...In Space!

So some of you may know that I've decided to start my own original series of models. I've always wanted to try my own spin on "realistic" space warfare, so I figured that I might as well make that the topic of this series. Along with that, it's a bit of alternate history. So, here's the gist:

The year is 2727 AUC, 2,727 years after the founding of Rome. The world has been divided into three main factions: Virginia (in what would be called North America), New Israel (South America), The Mongol Empire, which covers Asia east of the Urals, and the Roman Empire, covering everything west of the Urals. Mankind first set into space 27 years ago, and by now, the Moon has become heavily populated, vast industrial cities sprawled across its surface, lighting up the face of the moon at night. Millions of miners are hard at work, harvesting resources such as Helium-3 and water. Meanwhile, joint ventures between the Empire and the Mongols have started on Mars, with nations from the Americas trying their hand at colonization as well. Recently, however, territorial disputes in the Northeastern Woodlands of the Americas have resulted in a declaration of war between Rome and the loose Virginia-Israel alliance. Due to a bombing campaign gone awry, 90% of the world's fresh water has become unsafe to drink. Vulcan Industries based in Rome has decided to capitalize on the issue, charging exorbitant prices for water filtered by their own proprietary system, selling filtration machines to other countries as well. As a result, humanity has turned to harvesting water from the Moon and Mars in an attempt to alleviate the shortage.

In the meantime, a Roman colony on Mars has sided with Virginia and New Israel, a good portion of the local Legion having turned, capturing key assets and ships. Within hours of the mutiny, Rome's praetorian fleet, the Classis Misenensis is sent to Mars to deal with the situation. Thus begins Humanity's first interplanetary conflict.

Right, so with that huge block of text out of the way, have some teaser pics and a study sketch of the series' first model: the eponymous "Resurgam".

Google Adsense
Old 04-14-2014, 06:58 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
What a terrific Sci Fi concept. I'm looking forward to seeing your first model come together.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Wow, interesting background development. Besides the models are you going to have any stories, historical lines, etc. developed from the basic concept?
Old 04-14-2014, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
As a big fan of the Trigan Empire I''''m looking forward to following this as it grows.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
Wow, interesting background development. Besides the models are you going to have any stories, historical lines, etc. developed from the basic concept?
Oh, definitely. With each model, I'll include a small story relating to it, as well as some supplemental information when appropriate. I'd like to follow the the story of just one person, but I might have to branch out in order to cover broader topics.
Google Adsense
Old 04-14-2014, 09:56 PM

So the model parts themselves are completely drawn up - display stand and all. Now I'll just have to write the included short story for the model. In the meantime, have the "intro" page for the series:
​​
Old 04-15-2014, 05:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.35 GB
sounds great I'm gonna watch this one
Old 04-15-2014, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.48 MB
Too creative! A nice history and a great idea!

Greetings from Brazil!

Mauther
Old 04-15-2014, 08:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
As a dedicated fan of other alternative histories, e.g., Randall Garrett's Lord Darcy stories and Eric Flint's 1632, your whole concept fascinates me. I'm on tenterhooks wondering what your spaceships, aircraft, and groud transport will look like.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
How involved will this be? Will there be aircraft, ground transport and perhaps some architecture?

I've always thought that in Sci Fi RPG's that the buildings should harken back to the culture, instead of the bleak structures often portrayed. I was playing with what buildings would look like for future oriental, future Greek (future Rome would work, too) and future Danish/German/Swiss. Never got too far, but would like to see your take on it
Google Adsense