PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 01-31-2015, 04:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Uhu02's "Interstellar" Lander

Here is my build of the Lander from Uhu02's Endurance model from the movie "Interstellar." I like the Lander because it has a boxy look of faux functionality, and with that nose, four outriggers and the engines in the rear, it looks like an updated version of the Eagle from "Space: 1999."

Uhu02's Lander is fairly small because it is scaled to fit his Endurance model. I wanted a larger version, so I scaled it up to twice the original size. Since I have zero computer-graphics skills, I did it the old-school way by photocopying the original parts at 200%.

Doing it that way does two things, neither of them good. For one thing, it fuzzies up some of the detail. Secondly, it enlarges any gaps that exist. In the small scale of the original model, the gaps aren't that noticeable. Enlarged 200%, you have some gaps to fill with spare card.

I built the model stock except for adding detail to the two rectangular hatches on the side, and I also added what appears to be sliding covers for the four forward windows and the four windows on the upper sides of the nose. I also added the ring around the upper and lower airlock hatches.

I also wasn't crazy about Uhu02's engine nozzles, which had too much orange in them for my tastes (and doubled in size, the orange jumps out at you) so I used his parts as templates to cut new nozzles from dark-gray cardstock.

With all its interesting tile detail, the Lander is a vehicle that cries out for a larger-scale model. I wish somebody would offer one....
Attached Thumbnails
Uhu02's "Interstellar" Lander-image.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-31-2015, 04:06 AM

Another photo...
Attached Thumbnails
Old 01-31-2015, 04:07 AM

And another...
Attached Thumbnails
Old 01-31-2015, 04:08 AM

Lifting off after dropping off its cargo....
Attached Thumbnails
Old 02-03-2015, 02:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 11.88 MB
Great job, Dhanners. Did you have any issues downloading the PDFs? Personally speaking, it takes forever to download a single page and when it does finally download, some of the parts are pink in color.
Google Adsense
Old 02-03-2015, 03:44 AM

Thanks for the kind words. I didn't have any difficulty downloading the model, but frankly, I only downloaded the one page (13) that had the Lander parts on it. The colors on it came out just fine. I didn't try downloading the whole model, though.

I'd like to take another crack at the Lander, again doubled in size but cutting out and backing the windows and adding other details. However, I'm looking for some way (other than photocopying at 200 percent) to enlarge it but retain all the fine tile and color detail.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 02-03-2015, 08:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
If you have a large format printer open page 13 and tell the pdf reader to print at 200% in the print dialogue.

If you do not have a large format printer select a part on the page using the camera icon by clicking and dragging a box around a part then choose to print selected graphic at 200%. Do that for every part, keeping in mind the maximum size page you can print.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:57 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Dave......... got your email and I think I can help

My Drawings
Old 02-03-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
If you have a large format printer open page 13 and tell the pdf reader to print at 200% in the print dialogue.

If you do not have a large format printer select a part on the page using the camera icon by clicking and dragging a box around a part then choose to print selected graphic at 200%. Do that for every part, keeping in mind the maximum size page you can print.
Thanks. I appreciate the help....
Old 02-05-2015, 02:23 PM

I was fortunate to get an electronically enlarged copy of the Lander with much better detail than my home-brew 200-percent copy. I've got the body done and will start on the outriggers in the next day of so.

I cut out all the windows (there's a bunch) and backed them with clear plastic. There are windows on the top and bottom, though, so the thing winds up being see-through and since I didn't want to build an interior, I backed the clear plastic with a dark cardstock.

I have also added the window-covering detail and other bits. I used a circle cutter to cut out the upper and lower airlock hatches, used gray cardstock to make a shallow "throat" to inset the hatch, then glued the round hatch back on. On the outriggers, I plan to cut out the RCS openings and back them with black cardstock

Tried to get the clear plastic to reflect the light for the photo, with no luck. But you get an idea of the look....
Attached Thumbnails
Google Adsense