PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 07-14-2009, 12:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
It looks so organic. I can imagine Rebel engineers carefully crafting each part. Really nice job. Make sure you have some innovative photography to do justice to the finished model.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
It really looks like a movie prop. You should make a short video of it parked with some dry ice adding some smoke around it, maybe sitting on sand or something. It really is incredible.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:56 PM

your build is quite awesome! Excuse my own noobness, but how do you apply the textures the designer made to the model? I have both the xwing file and the textures that are available, but am not sure how to get them together. If there is another thread for this I am sorry for hijacking this one!

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:51 PM

nvm, I figured it out!
Old 07-15-2009, 01:35 AM

Thanks a lot!

cdavenport, Zathros: I'm thinking of doing some short stop-motion sequences. I'm not sure I'd be able to get constant light conditions for several hours (and keep the camera steady while pressing buttons), so it might seem a bit bizzare, but I'll try The sand idea sounds good; X-wing flying over sand would remind me of the first Rogue Squadron mission where you were flying over Tatoine.

Davitch: Glad you figured it out. So we will see another xwing soon, right?

I've finally seen the new Star Trek movie, quite liked it. But more importantly, I started working on the parts that connect the wings. I shouldn't glue them now, because the painting would get painful, but you can expect some dry-fit photos with wings in correct positions in day or two.
Google Adsense
Old 07-15-2009, 08:50 AM

I decided not to use the original wing axis parts. I redesigned the hinge arms so they'll get glued right to the engine pod, two for each wing, forming a valve around the center axis (original model uses 3 blocks that are built separately from each the wing). I usually use my ruler and pencil for the custom parts and it's faster if I need just one or two, but using computer in this case was way faster than drawing all the pieces by hand.

1. Go my minions!
2. Glued on 1mm cardstock and connected by valves made by rolling 30cm paper stripes.
3. This should better work...
4. And it's done.
5. Lock s-foils...
6. ...in attack position! :D

The wings are fixed in position just by friction, I hope it'll be enough to keep them spread. Next step is to cover the skeleton with thin paper and glue greebles all around the wings.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:18 PM

The wing skelet is covered now, engine valves (the Saturn V parts) glued on and I started adding some details to the wings and in the cockpit, too. Here are the newest photos with dry-fitted wings and aft engine parts; it starts looking neat :D The angle between wings needs to be reduced though, I aim at angle of about 30 degrees. I'll be abroad for a week, so the next update won't be coming soon. Thanks for watching.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:19 PM

beautiful build!!! im so jelous, this is the direction where my old cgi x-wing was supposed to go :D

any updates?
Old 11-04-2009, 02:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
I am not sure of the technology involved, but a few of my students made a Star Wars episode years ago with a green screen and PC editing set up.

That might be fun to explore vis a vis your X-wing. Too bad you didn't light it up.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:08 AM

cdavenport: that's cool! I'd like to make some fan SW movie with space fights too, but I guess I'd use computer models rather than paper ones.
Light it? If I'll do a bigger version, maybe I will But I intend to make another model with a couple of LED lights first to gain some experience.

AnyStar - updates? Just tiny ones

Another dry-fit - the wings aren't glued together, so I can work on them separately. What needs to be done before I start working on cannons and final details:
1. The engines need some more greebles from the inner wing side and on the "exhaust tubes" area in front of the nozzle's turkey feathers.
2. engine inlets
3. paint at least for the inner side of wings, so they can be glued together

Bad news for the model though: I'm in last grade at uni, working on my thesis, and I got a daily job, so my free time is practically non-existent. So there won't be any updates at least until Christmas.
Google Adsense