PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 11-13-2019, 08:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 140.78 MB
Scratch built Imperial Turbolaser dice tower

I have been at this one for a while, and it occurs to me that some of you might be interested in this scratch build. This one is pretty special to me because it's the first major scratchbuild I've ever done that is made entirely out of cardstock, chipboard, wood, and some wire. I have been running a game of Star Wars: Edge of the Empire for years now. I started in about 2015 with my friends, and we began with the 1995 West End Second Edition: Revised & Expanded rules, and back in 2017 we switched to Edge of the Empire, which is a FAR superior system IMO. But I pride myself on making my game as quality as possible. I've built a ton of stuff for this, mainly miniatures, but also a few setpieces. For instance, I built this DX-9 Stormtrooper Transport - the model ship they stole from the Empire and are now running around in - as a major setpiece for a big encounter, the one where they stole it:

I've also built props for them, like this datapad and comlink:

And now I'm working on a dice tower/GM screen combo. Tested posted a wonderful article about a turbolaser tower studio scale build, and in addition to photos of the entire build, there was a picture of the parts for the turret portion in CAD. What luck! I printed it out, and then up-scaled them to a size appropriate for a dice tower. Usually when someone does a turbolaser dice tower, they make the top of the turret hollow so you can drop the dice straight in. But I didn't want to do that. I wanted the turret to be complete and accurately detailed. So I decided to put a big ridge on the back of the tower to dump the dice in. I also went with a small landing pad in front of it to serve as a dice-catching tray. Currently it's just the turret, tower and pad, but I'm going to finish up the primer coat on these, build the guns, and then I'm going to create a base and walled section that will have important rules on it as well as critical hit tables and so forth.

The thing that's important to remember about this is that I'm not just making the tower and slapping greebles on it. I'm scratchbuilding everything, including the greebles. I got a tad lucky with the X-wing droid strip part, as imcold's beautiful X-wing kit is incredibly accurate, so I used the droid strip from that kit. But everything else I made by hand from cardstock and chipboard. I'm a mite proud of that.

Here are the pics I've taken so far:

Google Adsense
Old 11-13-2019, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
That is one nice looking dice tower. BZ
Old 11-13-2019, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 204.72 MB
So cool!

Doug
Old 11-14-2019, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 61.44 MB
Amazing work on the turbo laser!
I've read the tested build and downloaded the files, think I might give this a go after the Narcissus.
Unfortunately when I open the DXF file something goes wrong, the plans are correct, but extremely small, I can scale them up in inkscape, but I need a dimension to work from.
Could you tell me how big the base of the laser is, just the top not the whole tower, thanks

RH
Old 11-14-2019, 03:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Another nice piece that you can take pride in, sir
Google Adsense
Old 11-14-2019, 07:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
These are awesome builds; your talents are, as Vader would say, “most impressive.”.

Wyvern
Old 11-14-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhopper View Post
Amazing work on the turbo laser!
I've read the tested build and downloaded the files, think I might give this a go after the Narcissus.
Unfortunately when I open the DXF file something goes wrong, the plans are correct, but extremely small, I can scale them up in inkscape, but I need a dimension to work from.
Could you tell me how big the base of the laser is, just the top not the whole tower, thanks

RH
The base of the laser turret is 4.655" square, though be aware that I'm not building this at studio scale.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 61.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenniumfalsehood View Post
The base of the laser turret is 4.655" square, though be aware that I'm not building this at studio scale.
Ahh, do you happen to know the studio scale dimension?
Thanks
RH
Old 11-15-2019, 06:25 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Incredible! You scratch builders are a whole other breed. Wonderful craftsmanship.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhopper View Post
Ahh, do you happen to know the studio scale dimension?
Thanks
RH
Unfortunately, no. I do have some of the kit parts used to make it, but I can't access them at the moment because they're all in storage. You could ask on the RPF though if you're interested in scratchbuilding it studio scale.
Google Adsense