PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 12-31-2020, 03:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.71 MB
Expanse UNN Truman Build Thread

Back in April Cheesy Wotsit published his model of the UNN Truman-class dreadnought. I immediately went and printed the pages. Then the lockdown was lifted, life returned to a semblance of normalcy (minus the fun parts), and I was working fulltime. The months went by until a couple of weeks ago when I had to self isolate due to a possible coronavirus infection (the test came back negative, eventually).
So, I took the printed pages and went to work. Then, as politicians like to say when they bungle things, mistakes were made.

This model is, to put it mildly, not for the faint of heart.
Cheezy warned us in advance that he didn't write any instructions, but the blend file can be used as a guide. Turns out it's not that easy; the model is untextured, the parts are not named and there are extra objects in the scene; there are spare parts on the pages for a second color scheme, that I spent time cutting and then found out were not necessary. There may be missing parts or perhaps mislabeled parts; still not sure about this. The formers are... challenging. I wasn't always sure how they were supposed to connect to the exterior and had to add some cardboard pieces here and there, and in one case, had to cut a couple of exterior pieces down to size (completely my mistake). one of the octagonal pieces in the large "skyscraper" part of the ship is rotated 90 degrees - don't ask how I managed *that*.

So, it's not going to be a breathtaking display piece, but I'm going to soldier on and get this done one way or another.

Cheezy, thanks for creating and releasing this model. It's not an easy shape to break down to paper parts. I'll try to do well by it - starting tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
Expanse UNN Truman Build Thread-20201218_162834.jpg   Expanse UNN Truman Build Thread-20201219_114350.jpg   Expanse UNN Truman Build Thread-20201225_212150.jpg   Expanse UNN Truman Build Thread-20201226_083956.jpg   Expanse UNN Truman Build Thread-20201227_202057.jpg  

Expanse UNN Truman Build Thread-20201229_213947.jpg   Expanse UNN Truman Build Thread-20201230_234426.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-31-2020, 03:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Looks like you’re coming along nicely.

Wyvern
Old 12-31-2020, 03:54 PM

Cheezy, if you're seeing this, a question about this optional detail.
I assume what I'm supposed to do is cut the two dark gray rectangles out of engine part 1, then cut the rectangle out of the spacer, glue the hollowed-out spacer to the back of the engine part, and glue one of the standalone dark gray rectangles to the back of the spacer (and use a black sharpie to blacken out the paper edges).

However, a couple of things stumped me: why are there double the number of standalone gray parts than there are spacers? and why are they only just a tiny bit wider than the spacers, rather than the same width? perhaps I completely misinterpreted their function. Could you illuminate me on this? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Expanse UNN Truman Build Thread-clipboard01.jpg  
Old 12-31-2020, 04:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Off to a good start. The model looked daunting on the page.

Cheesy seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth, or just this website. He left us hanging with his rework of his Morrigan-class ship.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 72.71 MB
Good work so far
Google Adsense
Old 01-05-2021, 12:31 AM

It seems some major parts are entirely missing. Specifically, the central part of the bridge, and possibly some other bits and pieces.
Luckily I have the skills to recreate it and any other missing part, but before I do that I wonder if anyone has a way of contacting Cheesy through email. I'll drop him a message but if he doesn't visit this website anymore he'll probably not see it.
Attached Thumbnails
Expanse UNN Truman Build Thread-20210101_221321.jpg   Expanse UNN Truman Build Thread-20210102_231345.jpg   Expanse UNN Truman Build Thread-20210104_221327.jpg  
Old 01-05-2021, 07:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 470.61 MB
Michael,

The central parts of the bridge are on pg 5 (where you found the top “sensor”), with the rest of the bridge pieces scattered about on 8, 10, 13 & 14. It is a bit confusing with some items (or their locations) being mislabeled. See attached.

Also, I suspect the gray recessed parts for engine part 1 are doubled/extras.

Hope this helps. -J

Edit: It just occurred to me that you printed the A3 version of his kit and I see that the bridge section is not in it. Do you have access to his regular, A4/ltr ver?
Attached Thumbnails
Expanse UNN Truman Build Thread-brdg-notes.jpg  
Old 01-05-2021, 12:28 PM

Ugh. You are correct of course. I somehow missed this one page. Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-09-2021, 02:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelgr View Post
Cheezy, if you're seeing this, a question about this optional detail.
I assume what I'm supposed to do is cut the two dark gray rectangles out of engine part 1, then cut the rectangle out of the spacer, glue the hollowed-out spacer to the back of the engine part, and glue one of the standalone dark gray rectangles to the back of the spacer (and use a black sharpie to blacken out the paper edges).

However, a couple of things stumped me: why are there double the number of standalone gray parts than there are spacers? and why are they only just a tiny bit wider than the spacers, rather than the same width? perhaps I completely misinterpreted their function. Could you illuminate me on this? Thanks!

Yes,the idea was that the 'spacer' parts should have had a note saying mount to 1mm card (strut card) and are designed to give these parts of the engine some depth detail.

Everything else that you mentioned is down to me being very poor when it comes to planning and designing instructions and plans. I tend to build with a very haphazard spur of the moment style and then forget to note or in fact change original parts to match what I ended up building.

Sorry guys I'll try to pop in and help out, if you need pictures, details or info post here but you're better hitting me up at [email protected] as that's the only email I use now, if the site or my ISP is playing ball I will try and post any resolutions.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman00 View Post
Michael,

The central parts of the bridge are on pg 5 (where you found the top “sensor”), with the rest of the bridge pieces scattered about on 8, 10, 13 & 14. It is a bit confusing with some items (or their locations) being mislabeled. See attached.

Also, I suspect the gray recessed parts for engine part 1 are doubled/extras.

Hope this helps. -J

Edit: It just occurred to me that you printed the A3 version of his kit and I see that the bridge section is not in it. Do you have access to his regular, A4/ltr ver?

Thanks for assisting, yeah you hit the nail I am really bad at laying out easy to follow plans.
Google Adsense