PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 02-06-2021, 08:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)

The Protogen Amun Ra class Stealth Frigate from the show The Expanse.

This is my current build project. I've started this topic to have s ingle touch point for any questions and to keep everything in one place. I'll most likely do the same as I did with the MCRN Morrigan Mk2 and MCRN Scirocco, i.e once I am finished I'll upload the entire plan, texture and Blender file set to my Google Drive for anyone who wants to have a go at building themselves.

Video of Blender model

Amun Ra Class Model - YouTube

I am taking a few artistic choices with the look of the ship especially it's textures. This is mostly because the ship has very little screen time and when it is on screen it is usually very dark, it's hard to find in show shots that give a great overall look at the hull detail . It's also a weird ship to build as it isn't symmetrical about any of it's axis and has all sorts of strange sections of hull jutting out at odd angles.

I'll continue to add pictures as the build comes along.
Attached Thumbnails
Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-1.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-2.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-2b.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-3.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-4.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 02-09-2021, 03:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.32 MB
Is this ship simetrical any how?
Old 02-09-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunarispace View Post
Is this ship simetrical any how?

No not even close to it.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Wow! This looks exciting!
Old 02-11-2021, 06:47 PM

Breach pods and right hand side parts are for the most part done, having a think about how to add some extra detail and tidy up some of the parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra3.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-20-2021, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great series and your work is amazing.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:32 PM

Some small updates, added the left hand side hull details. However I encountered a few alignment issues. Took it to be a factor of the parts and shapes not interlocking quite right and tset about trying to 'hide' the mis-matches.

However wasn't happy so opted to dig back in to the Blender file and found that it was down to a flaw in the parts design. Set about reworking the parts to give a better alignment and take care of the flaw and opted to add extra detail to the model.

I plan to add some sort of effect to give the impression of the breach pods being launched.

I've exported the new parts and textured them I just have to carefully remove the flawed parts from the model (model is a prototype anyway)

New video of the corrected Blender model with the breach pods being launched.

Amun Ra Class Model Mk 2 - YouTube

new clean version of the final model (this one does not include internal support structures, these may be getting tweaked later to give the final model some additional support.)

AmunRa clean.blend - Google Drive

Quote:
Great series and your work is amazing.

Thanks dude.
Attached Thumbnails
Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-amunra5jpg.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-amunra6jpg.jpg  
Old 02-22-2021, 03:57 PM

Rebuilt the left hand side of the model with the new side parts and added details.

Built two of the full design breach pods along and added the docking ports on the main ship hull parts. You can see a wire coming off of each of the breach pods, it's a length of that flexible twist wire you get on new products to secure cables. I am using them as a way to attach them to the final model to give the appearance of them being launched.

The parts aren't final yet, they still need some post work touch up to hide fold lines and correct some minor build errors I am also thinking about replacing the twist wire on the breach pods with folded out paper clips as I think they may be more secure.

*edit*

Attached the part and did a quick mock test of pod attachment. It seems to work. Not sure how it will hhold up but as a quick test it seemed to do the job quite nicely and if I use a display stand with a black backing rather than the temp stands I am using in the picture it should hide the wire pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails
Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra4.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra5.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra6.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra7.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra8.jpg  

Last edited by Cheesy Wotsit; 02-22-2021 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Quick update
Old 02-26-2021, 08:59 AM

A little more work. Added the last set of breach pods to the left hand side. Thats, the last of the main hull parts on. Still thinking about how to tackle the engine bell. Next up will be some of the detail parts, antenna and the housing and the big vent like thing that goes on the left side.
Attached Thumbnails
Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra9.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra10.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra11.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra12.jpg  
Old 03-01-2021, 07:50 PM

Big vent has been added, which means that apart from the engine bell the major parts are all now in place. I am actually surprised by how well the parts have gone together, especially as the ship design is very unique and is made up of some very odd shaped parts.

Had to do a rework of the PDCs. A drop in detail as the higher detail version was just not possible with the size of the model. At one point I did think about dropping the PDCs totally and while I am not 100% happy with the lower detail version of the PDCs they are at least a decent enough compromise

Original design is on the left with the lower detail rework version of the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra13.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra14.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra15.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra17.jpg  
Google Adsense