PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 07-16-2022, 06:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
FN The Pella (The Expanse)

Flag Ship of the Free Navy named after the city that Alexander The Great was born in and commanded by Season 5 Season 6 main antagonist Marco Ineros. Here are some early Blender models of the FN The Pella.
Attached Thumbnails
FN The Pella (The Expanse)-pella1.jpg   FN The Pella (The Expanse)-pella2.jpg   FN The Pella (The Expanse)-pella3.jpg   FN The Pella (The Expanse)-pella4.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-24-2022, 12:47 PM

First part has been exported and texturing starts.
Attached Thumbnails
FN The Pella (The Expanse)-fnlogo.jpg  
Old 07-26-2022, 03:03 PM

So have been struggling with the texture choice for The Pella. Like a lot of the ships in The Expanse they have a tendency to change colour and style depending on timeline and camera shot. Examples shown are The Pella docked at Ceres from Season 6. As you can see the lighting conditions show the ship to be quite a light blue made up with a patchwork of tiles of different colours due to wear and tear.

The second image is a close up of the underside docking bay from Season 5. as you can see the tiles are clean, very smooth and a very dark blue with next to no obvious scuffs or patchwork repairs (saying that it is a close up).

I am leaning heavily towards texturing the vessel with a view to matching the Season 5 close up style (third image shows this.) With an option to turn patchwork titling on or off as the end user desires.
Attached Thumbnails
FN The Pella (The Expanse)-reference-2.jpg   FN The Pella (The Expanse)-reference.jpg   FN The Pella (The Expanse)-textmk2.jpg  
Old 08-27-2022, 04:56 PM

So I've spent the last few weeks messing around with various textures, colours and what not trying to get the Pella to look right and it's just not happening. Pinning down the colour of the ship is hard, pinning down the detail and dirt effects is even harder, no matter what I do I just can't get it right. It's been a bit frustrating to say the least.

So I thought why go with the free Navy colour scheme. It's my model, it was an MCRN vessel at one point so I introduce the

MCRN Pella 504

The registry number 504 comes from the fact the Pella first appeared in season 5 episode 4. Should be fun coming up with an MCRN colour scheme for this ship.

I will revisit the Free Navy colour scheme at some point but Iam going to need to determine how to go about pin pointing the colour scheme to go with as the ship seems to change colours depending on which series 5 or 6 and the scene it is in. The Ceres shot of her in the hanger has her as a very obvious light blue, the close up shots in season 5 show the plates as a very dark blue and the tracking psace shots show her as almost a dark gun metal grey.
Attached Thumbnails
FN The Pella (The Expanse)-mcrnpella.jpg  
Old 08-27-2022, 10:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.15 GB
Too bad! That blue was pretty/
Google Adsense
Old 09-03-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinKC46 View Post
Too bad! That blue was pretty/

It was but once printed the plating was too big, had the wrong depth and it just didn't work, it didn't look like the colour of the vessel in the show.

Saying that giving up on the FN Pella has annoyed me so I've jumped back to it and I 'think' I've got a colour scheme, plating scheme that works.

It may need a little tweaking here and there but The printed result looks more like the ship as seen during flight in space with no real exterior light sources.
Attached Thumbnails
FN The Pella (The Expanse)-pellaagain.jpg  
Old 09-04-2022, 04:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Difficult to choose colours from a TV screen when the lighting changes, but I think you've nailed it this time.
Old 12-26-2022, 05:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Any update?
Old 01-02-2023, 03:28 PM

Have just put the finishing touches to the completed model. Still need to create a stand so that I can then pose it for some better shots so for now I'll post just these two teaser pics. Hopefully will have the final pictures up and ready to go in a day or two.
Attached Thumbnails
FN The Pella (The Expanse)-pella1.jpg   FN The Pella (The Expanse)-pella2.jpg  

Last edited by Cheesy Wotsit; 01-02-2023 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2023, 10:57 AM

Model and stand is now complete. Here's a few pics.

I'll need to check out how much space I have on my googledrive before I upload .SVGs and Blender files
Attached Thumbnails
FN The Pella (The Expanse)-pella.jpg   FN The Pella (The Expanse)-pellab.jpg   FN The Pella (The Expanse)-pellac.jpg   FN The Pella (The Expanse)-pellad.jpg   FN The Pella (The Expanse)-pellae.jpg  

FN The Pella (The Expanse)-pellaf.jpg   FN The Pella (The Expanse)-pellag.jpg  
Google Adsense