PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 11-12-2022, 03:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Tintin's shark submarine

While the famous red and white chequered rocket is no longer available on the web, this little gem is.
It is the little shark submarine first seen in Red Rackham's Treasure. The small submarine was built by Professor Calculus (Tournesol (sunflower) in French) and after a first little mishap where Calculus sits in the submarine while it is on trestles, and it breaks in the middle, it proves to be an efficient asset in the search for Red Rackham's treasure.

The model is designed by Hermercraft (Edwin Rodriguez) and still can be found between the other models over here.
It was fun and easy to build. It is just a series of tapered cylinders and a couple of more or less wing-shaped parts with a very nicely fitting canopy on top. The trickiest was the prop shaft which has all the blades as loose parts which are perhaps a little harder to get into the right position but do give a better result in depicting a screw. The only thing I changed was leaving off the glue tabs and create strips to go inside the parts to minimise the overlap. Keep in mind that this originally intended overlap also causes the connecting rings to be a little oversized. It needs some pre-fitting and a very tiny amount of adjustment in cutting.
The nose end cap originally is a very tiny cone shape but I found it easier to punch out a circle shape just a tad smaller and use an embossing ball to make it concave. It happened to be a perfect fit.

The model has an option for a transparent canopy and an interior for the cabin but I chose to keep it simple. To me it now has more the appearance of something out of a comic book. While the model provides the builder with a sort of stand, decorated with sea creatures, I wanted to show the model like it was first shown in the comic. The trestles are my own design.

and another one for scale:

I guess it must be around 1/50 or thereabout. The canopy was treated with a glossy acrylic clear coat.

PS. I used Google photos instead of the forum picture application to avoid more server load... Hope that's okay.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:25 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Very cool!

And using off site photo hosting works fine for now.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 11-12-2022, 10:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Lovely! Tintin is my dearest comic character. Beautifull model and well built.

Tappi
Old 11-16-2022, 01:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
Very cool model!

https://www.vigilantesculpting.com
Old 11-17-2022, 01:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.77 GB
I remember seeing a model of the ship from the TinTin movie but don't know where I saw it, Any idea where it might be or even if it's available?
Google Adsense
Old 11-18-2022, 12:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 414.21 MB
It could be the SS Karaboujan from the designer Thanadol Shipyards. There used to be a free file at the Ninjatoes link archive but I just tested it and the GoogleDrive link doesn't work anymore, sorry.
Old 11-18-2022, 04:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Hey Paper Kosmonaut, this is really great. I am a big fan of Tintin, or Kuifje as he's called in our language, and such a model is just fantastic! Thanks for sharing and I'm going to look for the model rightaway.

Er gaat toch niets boven Groningen .

Cheers,
Erik
Old 11-19-2022, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 397.31 MB
Nice, downloaded it too.