PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 09-23-2009, 11:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 122.42 MB
Send a message via AIM to Paragon Send a message via MSN to Paragon Send a message via Yahoo to Paragon
"Plucked Chicken" aka: Whitestar

Its really unconscionable that we can have such a well developed hobby, with so many great models from all the popular SciFi shows, and yet not have a model of the Minbari Whitestar from Babylon 5. I'll grant, B5 isn't as well known as Star Trek or Star Wars, and I'll also grant that the Whitestar has some very difficult curves to capture in paper, but I would have expected at least one model of this powerful little ship.

So I finally set out to fix things. Here she is, for the first time in paper. Apologies for the somewhat sloppy build, this is just the beta, and I was in a rush to get it finished (mostly just so I could get my hands on a finished model). The file still needs a little tinkering, but its nearing completion. I'll also have to make one of a larger scale.

Quick note: the skin on this one, unlike basically all the other B5 models out there, is not based on the texture of a 3D digital model. I could have done it, but I decided I wanted to challenge myself, and see if I could accurately emulate the very odd and complex skin using just the tools available to me in Photoshop. I think I did a good job, personally.

Also, kudos to Scott K., who was able to guess the subject of this project simply from the nickname "plucked chicken".

An interesting bit of irony, these two ships, arguably the meanest of their two respective universes, as well as nearly the smallest, have no real accurate official size. I've built them both to what I believe is 1:1900 scale, based on lengths of 152m for the Defiant, and 286m for the Whitestar, each lengths I've seen as worked out by some very careful investigation.

Google Adsense
Old 09-23-2009, 11:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 858.39 MB
wow paragon this ship is a beauty... nice work
Old 09-23-2009, 11:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
It is an evocative model. But, what does plucked chicken have to do with Whitestar....for those of us ignorant of B5 lore?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Paragon,

you truly have captured the look, in shape and texturing, of the Whitestar. Bravo!

Wyvern
Old 09-23-2009, 12:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Holy crap! A Whitestar
Looks damn nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
But, what does plucked chicken have to do with Whitestar....for those of us ignorant of B5 lore?
Well... doesn't it look a little like that :D
Google Adsense
Old 09-23-2009, 12:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
Excellent model.I seem to remember a thread on Z pleading for a White Star model I can't remember who by but I hope he has joined us here.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
well done!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to Paragon Send a message via MSN to Paragon Send a message via Yahoo to Paragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
It is an evocative model. But, what does plucked chicken have to do with Whitestar....for those of us ignorant of B5 lore?
A lot of B5 and Star Trek fans have argued over whether the Defiant or Whitestar would win in a fight. Star Trek fans have often insulted the vessel by insiting it looks like a plucked chicken, while the Defiant looks like sex on nacelles.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Frankly, I always thought Defiant was one of the uglier ships in the "Star Trek" universe, yet there was something utilitarian about it. Nothing unnecessary. No struts or pylons to get blown off. I remember reading that the modelmakers on the show nicknamed it "the Porkburger."

Always thought the Whitestar looked mean and elegant.

Great work designing the model!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:58 PM

True, the Defiant is a stout little ship, being compact makes it hard to hit. The Whitestar, on the other hand, looks rather fragile. As a model, I can assure you it is rather fragile as well. I guess they mostly rely on their speed to keep them from getting hit in the first place in combat.
Google Adsense