PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 12-07-2009, 11:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
I am sorry that I have not posted anything new yet, but I have to remake the engine exhausts. The ones I make were not right and looked very bad. I will be posting updated pics. soon.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:03 AM

Well, as promised, here are a couple of photos and an update. As you can see, I have been trying to put detail in it through "cut-out" texturing. I know it is not as good as some of the other work that is on this forum, but this is my first model that I am doing this to. I am hoping that I can clean up any mistakes with a good coat of paint.

BTW, Any suggestions are always welcome. Either PM me or post them here. I know I still have A LOT to learn.

Scratch built Thunder Fighter-dscn3712.jpg Scratch built Thunder Fighter-dscn3713.jpg
Old 12-14-2009, 01:07 AM

Finished thunder fighter mk3

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am FINALY FINISHED!!!:D:D:D Here is what all fo you have been waiting for. I desided to paint her in Colonial colours just because I like how it works with this kind of plane.
The first two photos are of both my MK3 and Martin Sanger's MK1 just to show the difference between the two.
Before anyone says anything, I know that the MK1 is bigger. That is because I had some one else print the MK1 for me and they printed it in a slightly larger scale with out checking it first.:o

I also need to make a proper stand for it. I am still thinking on what to make for it.

Scratch built Thunder Fighter-thunderfighters_mk1_mk3_top.jpg Scratch built Thunder Fighter-thunderfighters_mk1_mk3_bottum.jpg Scratch built Thunder Fighter-thunderfighter_mk3_top.jpg Scratch built Thunder Fighter-thunderfighter_mk3-_bottum.jpg Scratch built Thunder Fighter-thunderfighter_mk3_front.jpg Scratch built Thunder Fighter-thunderfighter_mk3_aft.jpg

I hope everyone enjoys it.

Thank you.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 224.02 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to marksolo
That is very well done.

I always felt despite the unparalleled freedom offered by paper, most of the effort on this forum have been devoted to recreating 'canonical' subjects. So it is really exciting to see anyone making full use of this medium to go where no modelers have gone before!

Good job!
Old 12-14-2009, 03:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 51.85 MB
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChild Send a message via Skype™ to ThunderChild
Well said Marksolo!

RB, That is one stunning model you got there! Very well done!
Google Adsense
Old 12-15-2009, 05:57 AM

Thank yooth for you both for your kind words and encouragement.

After the holidays, I plan on scratch building small versions of all of the Thunder Fighter veriants. They will be about the same size as the one I built for starting this thread. Yes, all of them will be painted in Colonial colours.
With that being said, I have no problem with EDF (Buck Rogers) colours, but like I said earlier, I like how it works with this kind of plane.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.71 MB
That is one hot looking fighter! What a cool design!

K'Jev
Old 12-15-2009, 07:03 AM

Kjev,

Thanks. I have always like the Thunder Fighter and the X-29 FSW. So I desided to combine both into one plane and gave it the designation Nomenclature "MK3" for the one seater and "MK3-A" for the two seater. Of course I did not realize, until after I designed it, that it looked like the Hammerhead fighter from Space Above and Beyond.

BTW, I am designing an MK4. I am not quite sure on what changes I am going to make though. I have quite a few ideas, but I do not think that I can put all of them in it.

If I had the programs (and the knowledge of how to use them), I would design and produce them for all to build and enjoy.

Last edited by Rhaven Blaack; 12-15-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven Blaack View Post
Kjev,
BTW, I am designing an MK4. I am not quite sure on what changes I am going to make though. I have quite a few ideas, but I do not think that I can put all of them in it.
How about a turret underneath? Good for tailgating Draconians!
Possibly a swing-wing design? Extended-range fuel tanks, a bomber version? I developed a model of the ISSCV from Space: Above & Beyond, then a Tanker model (swapped out the cargo pod for a liquid tank) and am in the process of working out versions for a Bomber, Gunship, Large Cargo, and Heavy Lifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven Blaack View Post
If I had the programs (and the knowledge of how to use them), I would design and produce them for all to build and enjoy.
I am actually kind of in the same boat. I really don't have any 3D modeling skills, beyond the ability to look at a part and rotate it in my head. Sketchup, Rhino, Metasequoia, 3DS Max--I know diddily about any of them. I can barely make a model rotate or zoom in and out in Pepakura.

I do my work in Illustrator, drawing shapes and putting them together. Then I cut, cuss, and re-do it. When I finally get the whole thing to where all the parts fit and it looks good, then I import it into Photoshop and color it. Lastly, I print it all as a PDF. To quote Vader, "Crude, but effective." Well, the effective part may be up for debate.

I've even been known to cut parts to fit a half completed model, then scan them, and trace the results in Illustrator to get a shape right. In all honesty, if you have a system that works, go with it. There's no right or wrong way to do anything.

K'Jev
Old 12-17-2009, 02:27 AM

K"Jev,
installing hard points for mounting additional external weapons pods is an easy thing to do.
I am working on a complete redesign (while still keeping its basic "outline"). I am just not quite sure how I want the exact details.

As for designing on the computer, I need to get a better system before I can get the programs I need for such. The computer I have can not handle the programs that are needed.
So for right now, I am just doing everything the old fashion way (pen and paper:o). I then sratch build what I design. The designs I posted were created on painthop by cutting and pasting the pieces I needed for my designs.:o
Google Adsense