PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 11-19-2009, 12:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
ok, ok, you're right, I see your point... that said no problem, that's sci-fi, you never know... maybe in the lower part of the cockpit there could be a controlled little black hole in order to create space for the feet :D
joking apart, I think I'm a "fit's son", so I'd rather design a model putting fit in front of form than the opposite
if you need a surgeon for the amputation, call me!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
Oooh! I like that; a controlled storage singularity, for all your pilots' needs!

I agree, if I ever get around to modeling some of the design sketches of my own ships, function and fit will rule over form. All cockpits and ramps will have space for the people who have to use them...
Old 11-19-2009, 07:36 PM

The cockpit is supposed to be EXACTLY the same as the cockpit of the Y-Wing fighter. According to the West End Games book the reason for using Y-Wing Pilots to pilot the Snow Speeder was that the training time was minimal.

So use the Y-Wing cockpit as a reference.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:08 PM

How did you attach the plastic pieces, mine won't stay on.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:12 PM

The cockpit 'glass'? A border of white glue around the edge. It helps to use the paper laminate insert on the inside as well, sandwiches the plastic between the paper and secures it well.

As for the cockpit, I've assembled it as presented in Jules' model; what the Y-Wing cockpit does or does not look like will have no effect on how I cram pilots into the snowspeeder now, although that information will be handy should I ever tackle a cockpit for the Y-Wing...
Google Adsense
Old 11-19-2009, 09:16 PM

what's the paper laminate insert you're talking about? Do you mean the pieces that say "print on cardboard"?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:11 PM

Yes; as I'm printing on a much smaller scale I just used them as is on paper. Did you print on cardstock? If so, I'd use it at that thickness. You might want to make up a few extras for the front and rear windows as well. I've not yet, but I intend to reinforce them the same way.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:58 PM

Yeah I used card stock so I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
I guess you never noticed the stormtrooper figure in the Super Star Destroyer kibble either!
Seriously? wow.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:34 AM

I've finished assebmling the guns and the thrusters, and have attached most of the laminate bits on the couplings and power housings. I've also in the interim designed a new printable clear flying base, which I'll likely post up here later this coming week. The top section of that base will be used as a sort of hover-gear, as the Snowspeeder (lacking space for even its pilots) does not appear to have mechanical gear (Hasbro lied to us!). There really is very little more to complete the rest, but weekends being what they are I probably won't finish it until Sunday night or so.

I've not started on the pilots, although I have a very clear plan once the ARC pilot is done. I'll be using my print-prototype ARC (texture test) for a mock up of scale. The comparison shot with the standing pilot seems to match fairly closely (scale wise) to the shots with Luke near the snowspeeder prop.

A shot of the gun panels:

Shot 1

Shot 2

Close-up of the engines:

Pre-thruster bits

Post thruster bits

Roughly sitting on its hover-base

With the standing ARC pilot

Enjoy!
Sean
Google Adsense