PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 04-30-2010, 07:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 726.58 MB
Replicator block... any interest?

Hi. A couple of days ago I was watching Stargate SG1, season 8, the episode where the replicators wiped out the goa'uld. I had a pencil and graph paper on my desk in front of me so I started to sketch out a design for a 3D replicator block. Here's what I ended up with:

FRONT

BACK

Would there be any interest in this at all? I could scan the image onto my computer and make, maybe, 12 or so per sheet of paper to print out. Keep in mind, that it would take probably around a hundred or so of these to make a replicator bug. But if anyone wants the template I came up with, I'll post it here.

I got the dimensions from a piece that was on ebay, supposedly a screen-used prop.

Will
Google Adsense
Old 04-30-2010, 07:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 122.42 MB
Send a message via AIM to Paragon Send a message via MSN to Paragon Send a message via Yahoo to Paragon
As I recall, there are several different shaped blocks. I also remember seeing someone using a laser cutter to make a whole bunch of them awhile back. It certainly would be interesting to try and build a bug out of those...interesting and insanity inducing.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 140.78 MB
I don't think so, Paragon. On Federation Model's page, they sell a resin kit of the Replicators' main 'bug' mode, and the entire model is constructed of the same block type.

Here's the pieces:

And here they are as the 'Scutter-type' bug:

Old 04-30-2010, 09:23 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Looks good. I had been toying with the idea of designing a replicator block myself, but that kind of fell by the wayside a while ago. You've definitely got a good start there. As you might notice from the pics just posted above, however, the profile of the blocks includes tapers to both sides so that you see more of an elongated hexagon from the end rather than a rectangle. But definitely looks good for version 1.0.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds